Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Off sick... work's function this weekend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya,

I've had some trouble recently with a dental abscess and was off for two days about two weeks ago. I had antibiotics and painkillers and it went away, but in my local area there is absolutley nowhere I can sign up for a dentists and have been trying for the last 6 months. I can get emergency appointments but they won't do the necessary work that I need to prevent it from happening again.

Last night at about 10pm it flared up slightly again and although there is no physical swelling there was indeed a lot of pain, cue sleepless night and me crying on the phone to NHS direct because we haven't got any painkillers in the house.

This morning I attempted to call in sick to work but my direct boss is off ill too and everytime I phone my boss that is above that they are never at their desk and I always get their voicemail.

After trying a few times I left a message saying that it had flared back up and that was going to the dentists. I didn't get them calling back to confirm that they got my message or anything and I have to say I would much rather have got them on the end of the phone.

Anyway, went to the dentists and he said that it's a phantom toothache and it shouldn't last much longer. And on cue about an hour ago at 3:30 it has completely disappeared. I'm very happy about this but at the same time I've lost another day at work.

I've only been with the company for just under three months and my probation period is 6. I've already had 2 days off because of this and they have a three trigger illness doo dah. So if you're sick for three different reasons over a period of 6 months you get a disciplinary. However as this was related to the last one it counts as one.

I'm a bit worried about the leaving of a voicemail though as it looks so unprofessional. I tried calling one of the girls who works in my department as well but she was on voicemail too. So I left her a message as well saying that if the boss asks where I am I have left him a voicemail and that my tooth thingy is back.

I left detailed notes of what needed to be done today on my desk (For my own reference but now wondering if that looks a bit dodgy!) And a few days ago my boss came up to us (as he'd cracked his ribs) and was talking about pain and sickness and he was saying about how dental problems, even if they aren't that severe are the most painful things in the world. So I think he understands...

Anyway... to the crux of the matter. I am feeling better now but I have two works outings this weekend as it's bank holiday. I said I'd go to both but even though I'm feeling better now... how dodgy would it look if I am off work sick on the Friday and then proceed to go out on Saturday and Sunday.

I really want to go and feel I am entitled to go but I'm scared that they are going to think I'm skiving and get rid of me. What do I do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd be very hesitant about that. In fact, I would definitely miss the Saturday.
    Yeah, I'm missing the Saturday and text the girl who's birthday it is on Sunday saying it's looking unlikely that I will make it.

Just got a text from my colleague who said that my manager didn't seem that bothered that I was sick ...he was off for a week recently and my other boss has been off this last week sick.... I'm feeling more worried about losing my job in this climate than anything else.
    Yeah, I'm missing the Saturday and text the girl who's birthday it is on Sunday saying it's looking unlikely that I will make it.

Just got a text from my colleague who said that my manager didn't seem that bothered that I was sick ...he was off for a week recently and my other boss has been off this last week sick.... I'm feeling more worried about losing my job in this climate than anything else.

They can't sack you because of illness, regardless of if you're on probation or not.

As for being sick on different occasions, 2 days off back to back only counts as 1, but again I'd question why they think they can discipline someone anyway, you can't help being ill.
    I did go to one of them and everybody at work has been fabulous. All my illness does count as one. Things are a bit shaky at the moment (figures wise) so I'm getting my head down and getting on with it. I wont give them ANY excuse to get rid of me!