Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

my employer has withheld my pay :O can anybody help please?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This week i have been suffering with an ear infection, and i worked yesterday, today i felt a lot of pain in my ear but i still went to open my shop.

After i had opened i phoned my supervisor and told her i was in pain and needed to go home. She replied saying she would try and find cover but couldnt promise anything.

a couple of hours later i got a call back and got told there was no cover and i have to work. i told her i had blurry vision because of the pain and i probably wont be in tomorrow either.

she called me back and told me she now has cover for today and tomorrow and i can go home. However, she has with held my pay, i get paid on a weekly basis and the wages i am meant to receive at 5pm today is for last weeks work.

is my employer allowed to withhold my pay because i have left early due to illness?

thanks for your help all :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, and they should know better. Withholding of pay is very serious. Do you have a union?
    I would check your contract - not all employers will cover you for time you have off sick and you have to claim statutory sick pay but you cant' get that until you've been off for about 4 days in a row - i'm not sure of the actual number of days.
    You can claim SSP on the 4th day off in a row,

but if he said its the last two weeks pay you should've had something for the days you've worked, very dodgy indeed.
    To clarify, when you say last weeks work, do you mean the week you have just fnished, or the one that was actually last week?
    MrG wrote: »
    To clarify, when you say last weeks work, do you mean the week you have just fnished, or the one that was actually last week?

it's illegal for them to withold pay for work you've already done.

As for sick pay:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_10018786