Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Laid off

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just got made unemployed...

I signed up Monday online for jobseekers and they should call me today...

Thing is, my landlady told me she isn't renewing the contract for August, so I need to find a way to get a new place.

I am on a waiting list for the DWP, they just need references. I dunno when I am gonna start this new job really...

But a couple of questions...

1. Can I get any financial help for a deposit, or for transport to work until I get paid?

2. How long does jobseekers take to get through?

Comments

• Options
    Have you been sacked, been made redundant or been laid off? People use all three as synonyms but the law's different on each.

If you've been laid off you can claim JSA until work re-starts, or if you've been made redundant you can claim JSA until you find work. If you've been laid off it'll take a bit longer for the claim to be processed as the DWP will have to do more digging. If you've been sacked for misconduct, you can't get owt.

You can claim housing benefit (sometimes called local housing allowance if you rent privately) if you're still on JSA, you should make a claim now for your current home too. Do that at your local council.

Some local councils offer a deposit scheme for people on HB, ask them about it. Other than that, if you're on JSA you might be able to apply for a budgeting loan, but only if you've been on it for more than 26 weeks and only if you're slightly evasive about it being for a deposit.
  • Options
    There's no more work for me because of money and the recession. My campaign ended and the other one I was trained in pulled out.

I was an agency temp, through Reed. Reed currently have no work for me.

My current place said I can come back to them in the future if they have work, but it would be through them, not through Reed.

Will I need a P45 from Reed?
  • Options
    You shouldn't do as if they have work you'll work for them again. You just need to show that you've not got work with them and you're looking for it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    You shouldn't do as if they have work you'll work for them again. You just need to show that you've not got work with them and you're looking for it.
    OK!

Does the fact I haven't started work for the DWP yet affect my right to claim until I get it?