Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Purging your belongings....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm currently procrastinating ...MAJORILY. Got a half day at work as we've got a flat inspection on Monday and since moving back in with my dad I've not touched my things. Cue 23 and a half years of stuff in a room, roughly around the quarter of the size of all my previous bedrooms...

I've so far got rid of quite a few clothes and stuff but I was wondering how do you guys make the best of your storage.

I've just broken up my old wardrobe (canvas pine jobby) as it was in the way of my window and I never put anything in it.

My dad said I can either get a wardrobe, another set of drawers or a blanket box to go in my room and I can't decide which to pick.

Any space saving tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What I do, which is fairly space efficient, is just put clothes on shelves in the wardrobe. Admittedly at University I can't do that and so clothes get folded into a pile on the floor because I am too lazy to put it in my drawers, but I find at home it really helps with saving the space because a) it's really easy to get the clothes you want quickly and b) unlike a typical wardrobe where you just use the top half and maybe chuck a few shoes in the bottom, you are effectively using 100% of the space.

However, I am loathe to have more storage than necessary, so if you already have some drawers and a wardrobe you might just want to cut down the amount of stuff you have? As much as is possible, anyway.
    Could you get a wardrobe with some draws/shelves in it too? I have a small rail for hanging work stuff (suit jackets and also dresses etc) and shelves for putting t-shirts and everything else, and shoes at the bottom of the rail bit.
    skakitty wrote: »
    Could you get a wardrobe with some draws/shelves in it too? I have a small rail for hanging work stuff (suit jackets and also dresses etc) and shelves for putting t-shirts and everything else, and shoes at the bottom of the rail bit.

Did you just copy my post :razz:
    In the end I got a shoe rack (which I LOVEEEEE I can see all my shoes and they look so neat and tidy) and a chest which I've put all my handbags and boots in. I've still got four/five dresses floating around though and am not sure really where to put them.... but most of the stuff is done. Huzzah!
    I had a similar issue - my wardrobe was getting far too small. Mainly because I had a ridiculous amount of shirts.

I ditched it and got one from IKEA ... I have a feeling this is going to go along the same lines as the other posts - it has a rail at the top where I hang shirts and a few jackets (and two hoodies for some reason), then a pull-out set of rails at the bottom where all the trousers/jeans go, and then stands at the bottom for shoes. There's a shelf in the middle, but it just has random bits & bobs on it.
    A chest of drawers takes care of t-shirts, underwear, etc.

[EDIT]

D'OH!
    If you have rail space left in your wardrobe, then these foldable convas shelves are extremely useful. I have 2 (not as long as in the picture below) and they hold a lot of weight.

70742_C.jpg
    i have a similar problem, but no space for a wardrobe (but there is an inbuilt one already), and a small ammount of space under my potencial new bed as it will be a double, but i have a serious ammount of stuff and i've spent hours geting rid of bags and bags of rubbish but i never seem to have less things. I'll have more shelving for books, but not for things like my craft stuff and shoes and other stuff...

any ideas??
    If you have any space at all, you can just buy stackable boxes that will hold things like craft supplies / shoes really well. They come in all different shapes and sizes. I actually have two tesco crates at the end of my bed that fit in quite nicely with my room, one full of games and one full of books heh.
    You can buy boxes to go under your bed, if the space is big enough.
    Melian wrote: »
    You can buy boxes to go under your bed, if the space is big enough.

We have those. Good for things that you don't need to search amongst. Use ours for towels, bed linen and ..........