Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lets go shoot some Welshmen and Scotsmen?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Doing one of these thesite quizzes I found this strange law.
Its legal in the UK in chester to shoot a welshman with a bow and arrow after midnight, in york excluding sundays its perfectly legal to shoot a scotsman with a bow and arrow.

Whats going on there?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Probably just an old law from way back when that's still on the books. Up until recently there was one on the books in the state of Montana which stated that bands of 7 Indians or greater constitute a war party if they are not on the reservation and it is legal to shoot them, that one's been removed I believe. There was another that until recently was on the books in the state of Oregon which banned blacks from moving to the state.

I think there's a website dedicated to publishing strange laws that are still on the books from back in the day...
    They might still be on the books, but they've been superseded by other laws so are totally irrelevant now. If you actually shot a welshman with a crossbow you'd be screwed lol.
    Only one way to find out... ;)
    lol
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've heard some really strange ones, no idea how true they are...
    Like it's illegal to fish for whales from inside your car, or that if a man calls a woman's name 3 times in a row in a public place they're legally married (both of these were supposed to be in the USA).

I've heard of a strange greek law as well, no idea if it's true or not either: Two siblings can't marry two other siblings, unless the weddings happen on the same day (in other words, you can't marry your brother's/sister's husband's/wife's brother/sister if your brother/sister married his/her husband/wife a day ago or more).
    I'm told there is actually a committee in Parliament whose sole job is to identify arcane and irrelevant old laws like this so they can be taken off the statute book. There are most likely some even stranger laws they've discovered.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I'm told there is actually a committee in Parliament whose sole job is to identify arcane and irrelevant old laws like this so they can be taken off the statute book. There are most likely some even stranger laws they've discovered.

I believe its called the Labour Party and some of the strange laws are things like Habeas Corpus (can't have things in Latin modern Britain - elitism you know?)
    It's the same as tax law which ive been studying this term, basically if there is an old law it is more effort to get it removed than simply ignore it. i.e. businesses get tax exemption on lunch up to something like 17p per person hehe.