Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The war on drugs is working - coke impurity at highest levels on record!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story.

What these muppets fail to understand is that this probably isn't going to stop many people sniffing it, so all they have done is increased the health risk and hazards to a large % of the population in an unregulated market.....well done lads!

I've only tried coke a few times and that was years ago so no real bias on that front, it's just the stupidity of this article that jumped out at me, what does everyone else think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The war on drugs is unwinnable. And if police around the world have had a few lucky months, it is certainly only temporary. Two years from now it will be cheaper and purer again. A year later the police will score some big hits and the price and purity will worsen again. Repeat for all eternity.

If only we got just a single government with the balls and common sense to see that we have no right whatsoever to legislate what individuals wish to do with their own bodies, and that trying to restrict such activities only results in crime and corruption...
    Legalise them all, then you can control them, once you control, slowly get rid of the ones you dont like.
    Story.

What these muppets fail to understand is that this probably isn't going to stop many people sniffing it, so all they have done is increased the health risk and hazards to a large % of the population in an unregulated market.....well done lads!

So what would you suggest to do then? Subvention the drug lords to make business more attractive so we have better coke on the market?

Those people are serious crooks with a lot of delicts on their hands, beside drug trafficking so I'm glad they are pulled out of business.
    There's no talking to them, I wouldn't worry about the war on drugs, its their way or the highway, no point arguing.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    So what would you suggest to do then? Subvention the drug lords to make business more attractive so we have better coke on the market?

Those people are serious crooks with a lot of delicts on their hands, beside drug trafficking so I'm glad they are pulled out of business.

The thing is I doubt any of them have been pulled out of business, in fact the wholesale price they are getting has INCREASED! The low traffickers Im sure will be replaced quickly.

All their work seems to have done is pushed up the price they guys at the top are getting (I presume?), possibly increased the violence they are willing to use, and made it more dangerous for the kids on the streets to use coke.

Has it reduced the number of people consuming in the UK? I don't know, but I doubt it.
    The Serious Organised Crime Agency are a bunch of cocktrumpets pathetically bleating in order to try and justify the existence of their crap, inefficient organisation. Not that politicians are currently listening to their message, of course - the troughing cunts are far too busy shitting themselves over the expenses revelations currently being made in the Telegraph newspapers. (to anyone wondering why I haven't written about that topic yet, I simply don't know where the fuck to start)

The solution to this problem is simple. Legalise all drugs. Make sure that these drugs have to face rigorous quality tests before being sold commercially - any company that failed the tests would face sanctions, possibly including a ban from selling that drug in the country. Make sure that the most dangerous, nasty Class A stuff is only taken in certain areas where the people taking it can be monitored. Make it illegal to take such drugs in public streets - I would also make being drunk in a public place a criminal offence. In other words, legalisation but with very strict enforcement of the law.

The drug barons will go out of business, the Government gains control over something, (Zanu Labour will always vote for that!) and people get legal, high quality stuff instead of the cheap, potentially dangerous shite they might end up with now.
    I guess it depends on your perspective on where the "war" is actually being fought - if the battle field is the streets of london then its definatley being lost and putting more people in danger.

However i guess if you think of it as being fought in Colombia where there are actual armed factions with guns, bombs and kidnapping and people are dying every day in "drugs wars" - then they might be having a certain amount of sucess and making a difference to the lives of ordinary people...

But its never going to solve the problem like a nice bit of legalisation and a regulated market
    The war on drugs in this country may not be being won, ie less cocaine so the dealers are having to cut it with more rat poison (the forensic science service for instance have had samples that were only 4% coke) but I'd expect the real gains are being made with the importers and the smugglers. If they're getting less into the country, they're selling less, they're losing money.

But it is all swings and roundabouts. people will turn to other drugs to get high, it's the way it goes.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The war on drugs in this country may not be being won, ie less cocaine so the dealers are having to cut it with more rat poison

:banghead:
    Weekender Offender 
    Wyetry wrote: »
    However i guess if you think of it as being fought in Colombia where there are actual armed factions with guns, bombs and kidnapping and people are dying every day in "drugs wars" - then they might be having a certain amount of sucess and making a difference to the lives of ordinary people...

I don't think the Colombian drug lords give two shits about SOCA, they will always have another customer and for every lorry that gets caught 50 more get through.....in fact most dealers at the high end probably prefer illegalisation because it adds a fat premium to their product (more than enough to keep the pigs and lawyers in their pockets), and their risk is relatively low as they're not personally involved in the distribution of their goods. it's mainly the poor people in those countries who risk jailtime because they don't have or know a better way to feed their families. the war on drugs is about as phoney as the war on terror.
    StrubbleS wrote: »

well duh - legalise it, regulate it, tax it, and put the drug lords out of business....it's hardly a novel solution either, no the novelty would be if our politicians stopped wasting our fucking tax dollars on futile wars, insolvent banks, and now swimming pools lol.
    Skive wrote: »
    :banghead:

What? You think I'm going to be saddened or upset that the dealers are cutting their "product" with other stuff?

What sort of debate board would this be if everyone agreed with you? :rolleyes:
    What? You think I'm going to be saddened or upset that the dealers are cutting their "product" with other stuff?

What sort of debate board would this be if everyone agreed with you? :rolleyes:

I find it frustrating that people are still spouting bollocks about drugs being cut with Rat Posion. Some of the things that drugs are cut with are more harmful than the drug itself but drugs are not cut with rat posion ffs.

And you should be concerned that drugs are being cut by more damaging substances. The whole argument about drugs legistalation revolves around how dangerous they may or may not be and if people are being sold more risky substitutes BECAUSE of the law, the law isn't working is it?
    Weekender Offender 
    I find it frustrating that people are still spouting bollocks about drugs being cut with Rat Posion. Some of the things that drugs are cut with are more harmful than the drug itself but drugs are not cut with rat posion ffs.

And you should be concerned that drugs are being cut by more damaging substances. The whole argument about drugs legistalation revolves around how dangerous they may or may not be and if people are being sold more risky substitutes BECAUSE of the law, the law isn't working is it?

Whatever shit they're cutting cocaine with, it's still going to be harmful, rat poison, drain cleaner, talcum powder, whatever.
    The end result is the same, is it not?

And why should I be concerned exactly?

Wait, it doesn't bother you at all?
    Whatever shit they're cutting cocaine with, it's still going to be harmful, rat poison, drain cleaner, talcum powder, whatever.
    The end result is the same, is it not?

No. Some cutting agents are obviously more damaging than others. Glucose, and caffiene for instance are far less harmful than boric acid and tetramisole hydrochloride.

You miss the point anyway. From the point of view of the end users health, the law is doign more harm than good.

If the law isn't working and it's your job to uphold it, don't you think you should be concerned? Or you just blindly stick to the opinion that if it's the law then it must be right.
    Weekender Offender 
    Well why should you be concerned about people taking cocaine in the first place then?

If the law isn't working and it's your job to uphold it, don't you think you should be concerned? Or you just blindly stick to the opinion that if it's the law then it must be right.

My job is to uphold the law, yes. But only so far as to keeping people who may be a victim of a crime safe and helping bring criminals to justice.

Cocaine being cut with other products, doesn't affect me or my job, not unless I meet someone who has taken the product who needs my help, or by some twist it leads to an increase in crime.
    Aren't you concerned as a person though? The use of cocaine by people is completely irrelevant to me or my job, but sure as hell I care whether people's health is being put in danger by stupid, draconian, unjustifiable laws.
    My job is to uphold the law, yes. But only so far as to keeping people who may be a victim of a crime safe and helping bring criminals to justice.

So you don't care whether or not it's illegal or the reasons why it may be illegal?
    Weekender Offender 
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Aren't you concerned as a person though? The use of cocaine by people is completely irrelevant to me or my job, but sure as hell I care whether people's health is being put in danger by stupid, draconian, unjustifiable laws.

The argument of most people who say drugs should be legalised is that people should be free to choose what they do with their own bodies, ultimately it's their own choice.

Fine, I'll agree to that. But, if people are going to continue taking substances, that for whatever the reason are dangerous, that is also their choice, they are accepting the risks.

Now, being honest, the purity of a drug that someone is choosing to take has never entered into my mind, why should it? I have a million other worries in this world without adding in something that doesn't affect me personally or at work.
    If were to tell you that I never wear my seat belt or always talk on my mobile phone whilst driving, would you be concerned? No, you'd probably accept that it was my choice, and that I've accepted the risks involved, even though both activities are riskier than snorting coke I bet most people never give it a second thought.
    But now, for some reason we should all be concerned about the purity levels of a drug that most of us don't use?

You may think I sound callous, but I'm not. I'm just pointing out there are far riskier things in life that nobody seems to give a shit about, especially if it doesn't affect them.
    But now, for some reason we should all be concerned about the purity levels of a drug that most of us don't use?

Well I think we should all be concerned about laws that are effectively increasing risks for people they are supposedly trying to protect.
    I think it's of particualr intrest to those affected by the law and those trying to enforce it.

Maybe your just happy in enforcing the law without thinking about the reason why the law exists.
    Weekender Offender 
    I think it's of particualr intrest to those affected by the law and those trying to enforce it.

In your opinion. Reality is somewhat different.
    Maybe your just happy in enforcing the law without thinking about the reason why the law exists.

If I questioned laws that I'm required to enforce then I'd be sacked for being unable to remain impartial and letting my personal opinions influence my job.
    In your opinion. Reality is somewhat different.

:confused:

The consequnces of our laws whether positive or negative are something for us all to be concerned about.
    If I questioned laws that I'm required to enforce then I'd be sacked for being unable to remain impartial and letting my personal opinions influence my job.

Bollocks.

You would not be sacked for having an opinion on whether the law is effective or not. You're not a robot, you're entilted to an opinion of your own.

This is stupid anyway. The law when it comes to drugs is bollocks. This is just another example of backward laws doing more harm than good.
    Weekender Offender 
    :confused:

The consequnces of our laws whether positive or negative are something for us all to be concerned about.

Bollocks.

You would not be sacked for having an opinion on whether the law is effective or not. You're not a robot, you're entilted to an opinion of your own.

This is stupid anyway. The law when it comes to drugs is bollocks. This is just another example of backward laws doing more harm than good.

If it were felt that my personal opinion would influence me in any way, then yes I would be sacked.
    The drugs laws might be bollocks, but whilst drugs are illegal I'll enforce those laws regardless of what I think and regardless of what you think.

If cops started enforcing whatever laws they felt like then society would turn to a bigger pile of steaming shit than it already is.

If people could use drugs, wether illegal or not without letting that use infringe on the lives of other people then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But people can't. For some reason or another people decide to inflict themselves and their behaviour on others.
    Addicts will steal, drunkards will get in fights.
    You could apply this argument to almost any job. Personally, I work in the gambling industry. Now I don't agree with every single piece of legislation that covers this industry - for example, I think making it illegal to drink alcohol in arcade areas (courtesy of the Gambling Act 2005) with fruit machines is utterly ridiculous - but that doesn't mean I'm going to get sacked from work for believing it. I don't agree with this law, but as it's my legal duty to enforce it, I do.

You can think whatever you like about the laws you have to enforce. Provided it doesn't start affecting the way you do your job, it's not a problem. Just ask Dick Brunstrom, the man in charge of North Wales Police - he thinks all drugs should be legalised, yet he hasn't been dismissed by Jacqui Spliff.
    If it were felt that my personal opinion would influence me in any way, then yes I would be sacked.

And you'd have a case for unfair dismissal.
    Being a copper doesn't mean you automatically agree with the reasons behind each and every bit of British criminal law.
    If cops started enforcing whatever laws they felt like then society would turn to a bigger pile of steaming shit than it already is.

I'm not suggesting the police don't do their job. I was just saying that they should be intrested in the consequences of the job their doing. For me a copper to say that they are of no concern is more worrying than a copper with an opinion contrary to my own.
    Weekender Offender 
    You may think I sound callous, but I'm not. I'm just pointing out there are far riskier things in life that nobody seems to give a shit about, especially if it doesn't affect them.

I don't think you're callous, just come across badly in this thread. Basically, I honestly am not that upset about the Maddie McCann thing. But if we are talking about it, I'd still say, yea I'm concerned about it. Yet here we are talking about dangerous substances being cut with even more dangerous substances and people taking it without realising what is going into their system, and what you appear to have said is "I don't care.". Now, that's callous from an average person, but from a PC/CSPO (forget the abbreviation) it's actually shocking as these are people who as part of their remit as community protectors and caretakers SHOULD be concerned about all issues that affect people in their community. Just as you would be concerned about a 15 year old getting ridiculously pissed and needing a lift home to his parents who don't really give a shit, you should be concerned that young revellers are being given stuff that could potentially kill them because there is absolutely no regulation and no quality control.

Now I think you are actually concerned about the individuals but are just putting yourself across the wrong way in this thread, and perhaps what you actually mean is what you said above that you have so much to do that it is at the end of a long list of things to worry about. Because none of us cry at night and get proactive about the thousands dying from Malaria, HIV each day do we? But if we are talking about it, I think the LEAST we should show as human beings is concern.

Sorry, essay over :D

If people could use drugs, wether illegal or not without letting that use infringe on the lives of other people then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But people can't. For some reason or another people decide to inflict themselves and their behaviour on others.
    Addicts will steal, drunkards will get in fights.
    Could you explain what infrigement users of, say, magic mushrooms cause on others?

The drug grows naturally. It's picked up by the user. No dirty money, no drug dealers involved. They take it at home or at the park and have a nice little trip. That's it.

Yet magic mushrooms are a Class-A drug. Class-A.

It shouldn't even be illegal, let alone put in the same category as heroine or crack.

Anyone who has but an ounce of common sense and rationality in them will think that is a complete travesty, policemen or not.
    If were to tell you that I never wear my seat belt or always talk on my mobile phone whilst driving, would you be concerned? No, you'd probably accept that it was my choice,

I wouldn't be concerned that you were driving without a seat belt because you're likely to kill just yourself. But driving while using your mobile phone? THAT concerns me 'cos you may well take out an innocent.