Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Haggling with currys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
TV was stolen a few months back, it cost £500 from amazon and we got £600 from the agency handling our claim but it's in vouchers for currys and we couldnt find a 37" Samsung for £600 (which was what was stolen).

I'm guessing it's because currys inflate their prices for the sales commission so does anyone have any tips on going into a shop and haggling down a price when you've got insurance vouchers? The actual TV we had is end of life now, they are onto a next gen set, but surely if we get more money we should be able to get a better one?

We've seen a 32" for £399 and a 40" one for £699. (If anyone spots a better deal, let me know!)

It must be some kind of scam the agency has that you can only get your insurance claim from one particular shop but nevermind :p. (or PC world, but they are the same company! and more expensive :p)

Cheers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd contact the insurers and inform them that if you're limited to Currys you're unable to buy a replacement set, only an inferior one. Ask for the vouchers from an online retailer or someone decent like John Lewis.
    I am not 100% sure how it works though you see as my mum has been handling it (she called me because currys didn't have the TV and was wondering which one to get) but I think they handle the claim and work out what its worth and you get what you're given to an extent. I mean my mum is saying the vouchers are good for 2 years so if worst comes to worst she will just hold onto them until the prices have come down a bit, but from my point of view the longer we go without a TV the worse :p
    You don't have to accept the vouchers, the insurance company should offer you cash, and they'd have to justify why the cash offer was lower than the voucher offer. They should be providing enough to replace like-for-like.

IF they don't offer cash, or you think they're taking the piss with the cash offer, complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
    Cheers for the info Kermit, I will phone my mum.