Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tax refund/rebate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I was out of work from mid april 06 - 23rd april 07 and have been advised by a family member that I may be entitled to a refund or rebate in the following year and I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this or advice.

I was out of work and not claiming benefits if this makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Emma

Comments

• Options
    I'm no tax whiz, but generally the reason you get a tax rebate after being out of work is that you don't use up your personal allowance in that tax year.

If you're on PAYE then your tax is deducted at a rate that assumes you'll have roughly the same income every month/week/whatever your payment period is.

Obviously if you only work half the year and your tax is deducted assuming you've been working all the year then you won't get all of your tax free allowance so you'll generally have overpaid tax and thus get a refund.

With the dates you've put above this may not be the case, as the tax year runs ends 5th April so you were basically out of work for a tax year. I don't know whether this means you lose your personal allowance for that year or not.

Your best bet is probably to ring up your tax office and find out what they have to say, tell them you think you've overpaid because of being out of work.
  • Options
    Cheers Growls... I think it was a case that because I was out of work that year that I shouldnt have been paying so much tax the following year I dont know but year ill give them a call.
  • Options
    You need to do the following:

Get your P60 (the form which you receive at the end of each tax year saying how much you've earned and how much tax you've paid).

Go here: http://www.taxfix.co.uk/income-tax-calculator.html and enter t'details. It will say if you're entitled to any tax back. (Couldn't find the one on the HMRC site).

Call up HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) and they'll give you the address for where to send your P60. You also need to enclose a cover letter saying that you'd like your tax reassessed.

The cheque will then be sent in the post, but be patient as this can take a while.

Example: Last year, I received £920 back from the previous year so we're not talking small numbers here.
  • Options
    You need to do the following:

Get your P60 (the form which you receive at the end of each tax year saying how much you've earned and how much tax you've paid).

Go here: http://www.taxfix.co.uk/income-tax-calculator.html and enter t'details. It will say if you're entitled to any tax back. (Couldn't find the one on the HMRC site).

Call up HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) and they'll give you the address for where to send your P60. You also need to enclose a cover letter saying that you'd like your tax reassessed.

The cheque will then be sent in the post, but be patient as this can take a while.

Example: Last year, I received £920 back from the previous year so we're not talking small numbers here.

Can I ask just how long you were waiting? I sent mine off end of february, so am looking at over 2 months now... Can't ask them right now as I'm in China but just curious. Money in my account would be helpful!
  • Options
    Can I ask just how long you were waiting? I sent mine off end of february, so am looking at over 2 months now... Can't ask them right now as I'm in China but just curious. Money in my account would be helpful!

Depends on the tax office it went to, certain large processing centres are shite and have 8 week plus backlogs. You need to really chase them up, but I dont know if there is an email address for each processing centre, when I need to chase things up for work I ring them.
  • Options
    Your best bet is probably to ring up your tax office and find out what they have to say, tell them you think you've overpaid because of being out of work.

Ring HMRC and explain the situation, without knowing any figures I cant say if you would be due a rebate or not.

If you dont use your personal allowance for the year then you do lose it.
  • Options

I think about 3-4 months. Don't expect it too soon.
  • Options
    Okies, thanks guys. I'll not bother about it until I get back to the UK then.
  • Options
    Thanks all Ive not had a P60 for ages so not sure if that will help but I will have a good old hunt
  • Options
    Given that you wern't working for the whole of the 06/07 tax year its unlikely that you will have a p60 as this is sent to you by your employer. However if you have been working in other years you should have recieved one each year from your employer usually at the end of April beginning of May. You have to keep these very safe as you cant' get copies.