Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sunbeds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my usually lovely olive skin has become a little bit pale over the last few years without any regular sun.. (bloody London!) and I've decided to take the plunge and build up a bit of a base tan before the sun comes out... mainly so I can get my legs out for once.

I understand the dangers of using sunbeds and I have a friend who is a beauty therapist that has told me the horrors of people abusing them and ending up looking like an old leather handbag but I believe I'm sensible enough to use them safely.

I was just wondering if anybody has used them before. I know the place down my way is one of those unmanned ones with machines.

My skin tone is olive (with hints of Native American). I have never been burnt in my entire life, I don't tend to sunbathe and my skin is in really good condition. The other thing is I'm allergic to sun tan lotions and sun blocks.

I know that you shouldn't wear any make-up, perfume or citrus based products on your skin before using one. What precautions can I take based on the fact I will be using a lay down bed for 4-minutes tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you wear contact lenses don't wear them when you use the beds as it's really bad for them. Also don't use them for like 12 minutes at a time start off slowly.

In my mums work they have sunbeds and the states people get in after being on for 12 minutes is stupid, even though the staff warn them and give all the information they can :rolleyes:

I would still say don't use them tho.
    Thanks for that. I wouldn't do any more than 4 minutes once a week. Maybe twice but very far apart from each other.
    Alright..a bloke that's used sunbeds..yeah yeah look away :p
    Anyway..4 minutes probably won't really do very much to be honest, I've got pretty pale skin and 6 minutes has normally been about right for me in the past
    Also, stand up machines are better than lay down ones as the light is more central, the lay down ones are more likely to burn you
    I'd much rather use a stand up one, but to be fair it's easier for me just to walk down the road and use this local one.

And as for the 4 minutes, I think I'd much rather be sensible at the beginning. As I've said I've got reasonably dark skin (Every country I go to whether it be France, Spain, Greece... even Thailand! The locals start chuntering away in their native tongue thinking I'm from there. More often than not they are like "You can't be English!!!??!?") but it hasn't tanned for a few years. I'd rather build it slowly by doing shorter sunbeds over a length of time than frying myself!:shocking: :) Thanks though.

And there's nowt wrong with being male and looking after yourself. My ex used more face washes, body scrubs etc than I do and he looked damned good.

Was hell trying to get into the bathroom in the morning though :rolleyes:
    I would suppose you really look for a "studio" where advice is available. This is for several reasons:
    1. 1. If you use them first, a good studio takes a look at your scan and makes some kind of plan (similar like a training plan :) ) They see what kind of skin you have and how you should start. To be honest I would be a little careful with the minutes mentioned in this thread as it depends on the type of your skin.
    2. 2. They always take care of the sunbeds themselves where the "cheaper" ones maybe do not all the maintenance cycles that are necessary.
    3. 3. They do provide you with this sunbed special glasses for your eyes which you definitely should use, no matter if you wear contact lenses or not
    4. 4. They mostly offer some after sun lotion especially made for sunbeds. You have to talk with them if that would work for you (because you are allergic against sun lotion as mentioned before).

Hope it helps. :cool:
    Not a fan personally, but keep it low, is my opinion. I think you can quite easy get 'addicted' to it and I think the sunbed tan looks horrible golden toasty.
    Well I went in and did my skin test and the machine said I'm skin type 4. It then said the maximum I should stay on the beds was 20 minutes.

I did 4 and felt ok afterwards. I think I may go back down today (I've left it a couple of days) and do a few more.

It's easy to see how people get addicted though. There was a woman down there who not only looked like a handbag but was waxing lyrical about her favourite bed...which one was best for this that and the other. Scary stuff.
    Don't do them more than twice a week. I've not gone on them yet, but I was thinking of using one myself. I'm wary though... I want to try some skin tanners, like the creams but I got told they are rubbish.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I used to be a bit of a sunbed queen.

Dont bother wasting your time or money only going on for 4 mins a week.

you need at least 6 mins, and a few times a week to see if a difference.

I would recommend starting for week one with 6 mins, and then gradually moving upwards as you see fit.

As you get a decent tan, reduce the amount times you go per week to just maintain it.