Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Course Via work - Legal question,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Unfortunately I've become a bit stuck on this one,

The story goes that I was sent on two courses in march, one of which I did before, before the courses nothing was mention about repayment of course etc and I even said I've done one of them before, I am not willing to repay if I leave within 12months etc.

Anyway after the course, 2-3weeks after they made us all sign a repayment form, basicly saying we will repay a fraction of the cost if we leave within a year, eg 1/12 of the cost for every month left within the year,

I thought this was outragous but got made to sign it anyway as they never told us about this before the course, and got us to sign it afterwards, they asked me to date it before the course but I refused, signed the date after, i assume this cannot be legally binding,

now, looking foward, next month there is another course, APPARENTLY mandatory and I have to attended, however again they will want a repayment contact signed, now by all means i don't plan on leaving within a year, however you never know, I dont want this debt, i would rather not go on the course than sign the form.

problem is, if it is mandatory can they make me sign the repayment forms with regards to the course? and force me to go n the course.

Comments

• Options
    Hi, there has been a development, and I really need some help asap

As above, happened to a collegue of mine as well, now obviously she signed the form after the course and is now leaving the company, they are demanding that they deduct £90.00 off of her wages (she only went on one course so only a slight amount) I know they cannot legally do this but I don't have access to my law books at present, can anyone possibly give me a legislation on this or help? I believe its under contract law rather than employment law, I would phone CAB tomorrow and I might (i want to help my friend) but I am unsure if they can give me much help,

Kermit, where are you when I need you.... LOL...
  • Options
    I get the impression ACAS might be able to help with this kind of thing.

Also, you tried askTheSite?
  • Options
    Good thinking batman, will call and askthesite and acas asap, ta
  • Options
    Du na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na, Batman!

Sorry I can't be much more help, haven't really got a clue.

You could always PM Kermit, that might pop up on his email even if he's not on the boards.
  • Options
    Na, I dont want to intrude and bother him on something relatively trivial, i asked thesite.org waiting for a reply 3days which is fast :D and will phone acas tomorrow.