Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sick but scared I'll get sacked...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK a little bit extreme but, I've just started this new job. I've been there for 2 months now and am on a 6 month probation period. Everything is going really well but the last couple of weeks have been rather annoying.

Last week I caught a stomach bug and was off for one day and the last few days I've had a dental ache... well I say dental ache but last night it erupted into the biggest fucking tooth ache ever, I'm not even kidding I've been trying to pull out the affected tooth, rubbing it with bonjela... taking ibuprofen and paracetmol. Swishing with salt water etc etc.

But now my dad is really angry as it's my second day off in as many weeks and because I'm on my probation he thinks it looks awful. But surely if you're sick you're sick. I'd be utterly useless if I was at work.

Thoughts please?

EDIT: By the way, the last job I was at last year I got a migraine in the third or fourth week, called in sick and then got sacked because of it. So as you can understand slightly nervous.

Comments

• Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Starcrossed,

Perhaps it's worth looking at it from an employer's point of view.

They accept their staff get sick. If they've found someone good, they are not going to dismiss them over a couple of days of sick leave over a six month period.

You said in a previous post that you have been hitting your sales targets, ahead of other colleagues. Would a good employer really want to loose someone like that?

Olly
  • Options
    Also, toothache can usualy be fixed pretty quickly by a dentist, and is equally the only way you're going to get it to go away.

Get an emergency dental appointment, call/go into work, explain, and the leave to go to the appointment when you need to. If the appointment is early on in the morning then maybe you can't go to work first, but you should be ok to go in afterwards.
  • Options
    Obviously it's not amazing but sickness happens. It costs a lot for an employer to recruit a new person, so if you're good at what you are doing I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. It turns out it's a massive dental abscess and since posting my face has got a golf ball sized lump on it. Been to the dentist and got a prescription and am currently lying in my room in agony as I can't take any more codeine for another hour.

Thanks for all the advice :)
  • Options
    What's the prescription for? And what did the dentist suggest doing next?

Medication on it's own isn't going to fix an abscess.
  • Options
    Root canal. Blughhhh!