Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

If you tolerate this your children will be next

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
.... and your grandchildren, and your great grandchildren.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKTRE5455AE20090507?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Unless you get them to wise up, of course. There is remedy in Law.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Soon we'll all have notes like this

zimbabwe_100_trillion_2009_obverse.jpg

:D
    If this lot remain in charge, we are utterly doomed as a country. Yesterday, in an annoucement that didn't get as much coverage as it should, the Tresury Select Committee's head, John McFall, revealed that they believe the government is going to run into difficulties into selling gilts. What are gilts, you ask? They're effectively IOUs that the Government is issuing in order to fund its massive borrowing spree. A few weeks ago, the Government failed to sell some of its gilts - this is a sign of what is to come. Britain simply cannot afford to make this borrowing spree.

Is there no one left to tell Gordon that the country is bankrupt - or is he too busy smashing mobile phones and printers against walls whilst swearing at Downing Street switchboard operators to notice?
    Woohoo, more debt.
    Honestly you'd think we'd never had a recession before...
    Honestly you'd think we'd never had a recession before...

Too right. I was only a kid during the 80s, but from what I've read/heard, we're not even close to the shit we were in then. You can come up with all sorts of statistics about money borrowed (which is meaningless as the absolute terms they keep insisting on because it makes it sound worse than a percentage), but in terms of the effects on ordinary people, I heard far more horror stories from back then than are going on now. We're not even close to the 3 million unemployed, and we're certainly not in a situation where we are permanently getting rid of work for whole swathes of the country.
    Too right. I was only a kid during the 80s, but from what I've read/heard, we're not even close to the shit we were in then. You can come up with all sorts of statistics about money borrowed (which is meaningless as the absolute terms they keep insisting on because it makes it sound worse than a percentage), but in terms of the effects on ordinary people, I heard far more horror stories from back then than are going on now. We're not even close to the 3 million unemployed, and we're certainly not in a situation where we are permanently getting rid of work for whole swathes of the country.

Not to mention house price fall retarding and the stock market on the rise. Happy days are here again ?

Recession, what recession ?

Ermmmm,maybe not. Has anyone perhaps considered that this is end of the beginning of the depression ? My guess for what it is worth is that before all this is over you will get the chance to experience first hand all those horror stories you have heard because I strongly suspect some will.

Of course I would not recommend that you do.
    We're probably as bad as the 80s in some ways, better than others and the same in some, but as can be seen the 80's didn't mean the end of the world (and even before the 80s there were parts of the country where there was generational unemployment).
    Maybe I'm a foolish optimist, but I honestly think we're reaching rock bottom if we haven't already. It will take at least a year for some figures to start showing improvement, but I reckon it won't get much worse at all.

It will take a long time to reduce debt, for sure, but I don't see mass unemployment, house reposessions etc happening. Could be completely wrong, but hopefully we'll ride it out easier than some predict.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a foolish optimist, but I honestly think we're reaching rock bottom if we haven't already. It will take at least a year for some figures to start showing improvement, but I reckon it won't get much worse at all.
    You are Alistair Darling and I claim my five pounds. :p