Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

does anyone pull their hair out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have this really annoying habbit and i hate doctors so i refuse to go for such a stupid thing, but i just end up pulling my hair out constantly!
Its not because im stressed, its not like that but whats even weirder is when ive pulled it out i have like this obsession with running the root between my fingers and sometimes i even eat it!

I know you all think im just a weirdo now but so do i!

I hate it tho and its making me go abit bald in patches and its seriously not a good luck..
Does ANYONE know anything or heard anything about this?

please get in touch!

sal

Comments

• Options
    Yea i used to do it alot and still do sometimes. I used to end up with lil bald patches and then get weird regrowth in random places.

I read thats its linked to stress and anxiety. Look up hair pulling on google, theres quite alot of info.

I found that when you get the urge to, distract yourself or find somethin else for your hands to do
  • Options
    Have you tried occupying yourself with someone else when you get the urge? I don't pull my hair out but I'm always playing with it.
  • Options
    yeah ive tried doing everything just to stop myself even put like elastic bands round my wrist so when i did it id pull on that but nothing really helps.. just nice to know im not the only one!
  • Options
    You're definitely not alone, and it is actually real disorder: trichotillomania.

I do it to a very mild extent. I'm growing some little, coarse hairs around my parting, and I'm a bit obsessed with pulling them out. They look and feel different to my normal hair and if I see one or feel one I just have to get it out! I'm nowhere near bald patches though :)
  • Options
    I've been a "trichster" since I was eight (im 18 now). I understand how you feel - I get the urge to get thick hairs, and I'm only satisfied when I get a root, and sometimes eat it :yuck: I pull from the top of my head, my leg hairs with a tweezer, my eyelashes and overdo my eyebrows! Let's just say I'm the oppisite to having caterpillars lol.
    As I've grown up I'm not pulling so much from my head but more my eyelashes, probably because I hide it with liquid eyeliner!
    I recommend looking on YouTube videos, so you can understand just how many people have it and suffer with it all over the world, it helped me a lot since I've never met anyone else with it!
    Hope this helped!
    xxx