Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what the hell do i do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i applyed for mitigating circumstances in february due to the fact i gave myself a nasty muscluar injury and was on painkillers and crutches for weeks. but just over a month ago i had a breakdown. I'm on antidepressants and antipsychotics and have medical evidence for proof.

But i'm really not sure what to do!

i've got work for 4 modules outstanding:

one i can do, and i'm planning to hand in later next week
two modules i'm not well enough to do because they require a much greater degree of concentration and i just don't have that right now
one i hope to be able to do, and hand in on time, but its going to be difficult.

now, you're only meant to resit 1 module a year, which could mean that i end up completing an extra module right into my third year. the other option is to get an extention on top of what i have already - if this is possible - so i can hand in sometime during august - my current deadline is the end of june, which i don't think is really long enough for me to properly recover, and its a hell of a lot of work to complete by then. my other option is to get my tutor to fiddle the computer and enter me for the modules next year...

i've spoken to 2 people, but they haven't been very helpful. I'm going to see my tutor tomorrow and i'll see what he comes up with but i'm really not sure how this will all work out...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say your best bet in any situation where you have mitigating circumstances is to make sure your tutor, etc. is kept up-to-date with the problem through meeting with them or email.

My university has a very good structure in place for appeals/mitigating circumstances and we're expected to talk to our module tutor, personal tutor, special circumstances committee and reception if we have any problem. I don't know how your university works, though.

Until you can see people try to keep a record of exactly what is going on, and obtain medical certificates, etc.

Sorry if you're already doing this (or its not relevant for your particular course)!
    Your best bet is to talk to your tutor and see what they can come up with.

There will be reasons that they usually only allow you to resit one module each year, and it's probably to do with the fact that doing more than that will start to have a negative impact on all your modules.

You're doing well with the plans you have so far to get one of the pieces of work in this week, and the other one on in time for the deadline. So remember that you're getting something right!
    i think it will just depend on what your tutor thinks about the situation, and what you both think is realistic. i was in a similar-ish position and was told i could be entered into the next year providing i finished everything over the summer. the other option was to do the modules i hadnt completed, the following year, but not move up a year which would have put me back a year.

but as everyone's said, talk to your tutor, they'll be able to help and should give you choices to suit you.
    Tell the university everything so that they can help.

If needs be go to the students' union.
    Just to add what Piccolo said, your SU will have a professional advisor whose job is to help with these sorts of forms. Go and see them if you don't know where to turn. You have to tell the Uni everything about your condition and it can all be taken into account, either in the form of extra time to do coursework or having the board of studies take your problems into account when awarding your grade.

Don't feel stupid or ridiculous for doing this, if you've been poorly it needs to be taken into account. The most ridiculous request I've seen for mitigating circumstances is a student who chipped a nail. Honestly.
    |^| Is what I should have said...
    Definitely speak to your tutor. I'm getting a concession on one of my essays from last semester because I was sleeping so badly and couldn't get it in on time. I am now doing it during the resit period so if you can, that's a good route to go down.
    1 assignment i can now hand in during the summer, 1 i may have to resit next year, and 1 i will have to hand in by june...

i was a big help talking to my tutor, he said that i was concerned last term and wished that i had come and spoken to him earlier, as he didn't want to interfer unless i wanted help.

i've got to sort out all my mitigating circumstances forms with someone from the SU welfare, but i'm so glad it getting sorted, huge weight off my shoulders!
    1 assignment i can now hand in during the summer, 1 i may have to resit next year, and 1 i will have to hand in by june...

i was a big help talking to my tutor, he said that i was concerned last term and wished that i had come and spoken to him earlier, as he didn't want to interfer unless i wanted help.

i've got to sort out all my mitigating circumstances forms with someone from the SU welfare, but i'm so glad it getting sorted, huge weight off my shoulders!

:thumb: that sounds really good luby, hope things start getting better for you soon.