Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Places You'd Love To Visit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What places would you love to visit?

America
New York (everything)
Chicago (I have family that live there)
LA (mainly for Hollywood)
Miami (it looks nice from what I've seen)
San Francisco (same as above)
Orlando (mainly for Disney World)
Memphis (for the music heritage)
Detriot (same as above)

Ireland
Dublin (everything)
Galway (it looks so gorgeous from what saw on PS. I Love You)
Belfast (everything)

Australia
Sydney (seems like a great city)
Melbourne (I'm a Neighbours fan and would love to do a tour of Ramsey Street)
To travel between those cities I'd love to go on a coast and see the outback.

UK
Brighton
London
Minehead Butlins
Manchester
Lake District
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Somewhere in the Highlands
ETA: Newquay (I totally forgot about it)

I'd love to go to a lovely beach resort in Thailand.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Still haven't got to Egypt or South Africa yet. China, Russia, Jamaica, Brazil, Colombia and Peru are also on my list. Malaysia too, but I'll be there in a few months.
    Love to go to America and the Southern states like Alabama, Texas, see all the cowboy, hillbilly stuff. Also the Grand Canyon and all the sights like Yellow Stone Park, and Disneyland obviously.

Also Italy, which appeals to me more than any other European country, Africa - on safari, Australia - the outback, and things like the pyramids, Niagra Falls etc.
    There's actually loads of places I'd love to visit but the ones I posted are high on my list.
    Can i ask, why did you include places like Manchester and Minehead and Edinburgh?
    I always loved Butlins when I was younger and from what I've been told the Minehead one is the best. I've been to Edinburgh but only passing through and from what I saw it's a nice place. Manchester I'm a fan of various bands/singers from there and I want to do some shopping there)
    A place called JiuZhaiGou here in China... too expensive for me at the moment though, even though I am in Beijing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiuzhaigou_Valley

other than that, almost every country in the world...
    A place called JiuZhaiGou here in China... too expensive for me at the moment though, even though I am in Beijing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiuzhaigou_Valley

:D That's my number one place in the world to visit.

I like the idea of doing road/rail trips more than just visiting places. So here's some I'd like to do.

China
    - Beijing - Xi'an - Chongqing -Chengdu (from which you can visit the Jiuzhaigou Valley) - Lhasa

- Shanghai - Hong Kong - Guangzhou - Haikou

Japan
    - Fukuoka - Hiroshima - Kobe - Osaka - Kyoto - Nagoya - Mt. Fuji - Tokyo - the all the way up to Sapporo for skiing and that cool snow festival they have.

Vietnam
    - Saigon - Da Lat - Nha Trang - Hoi An (and My Son) - Da Nang - Hue - Hanoi - Hai Phong - Ha Long

Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand
    - Mekong - Phnom Penh (up the river) - Bangkok

Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Germany/Holland
    - Oslo - Nordcapp - Stockholm - Malmo - Copenhagen - Hamburg - Bremen - Amsterdam

Norway/Finland/Finland/Russia/Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania/Poland/Germany/Holland
    - Oslo - Nordcapp - Oulu - Helsinki - St. Petersberg - Tallinn - Riga - Lithuania - Kaliningrad - Gdansk - Berlin - Amsterdam.

Spain/France/Italy/Switzerland
    - Santander - Barcelona - Marseille - Monaco - Genoa - Milan - Bern - Champagne - Calais

Other things I'd like to see/do:
    - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    - Climb Mt. Kinabalu, Malaysia
    - Climb Mt. Aconcagua, Argentina (the highest mountain that non-mountaineers can get to the top of)
    - Tour of Indonesia
    - Yellowstone, USA
    - Toronto, Canada (sister lives there)
    - Nuuk, Greenland
    - Quaanaaq, Greenland (the world's most northerly palindrome :D)
    - Pyramids, Egypt
    - Okavango Delta, Botswana
    - Go on Safari, Kenya
    - Tour of Masagascar
    - Machu Picchu, Peru
    - Copacabana beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    - Tour of Chile
    - Tour of Iceland
    - Tour of Poland
    - Tour of Mongolia

That's a bit long for one lifetime, I think. I blame Google Earth.
    Lea i've been to everywhere on your list apart from Chicago, Galway and oddly Minehead Butlins....

i really want to go to

Catagena in Colombia
    Brasil
    Argentina
    Poland
    Prague and Bohemia
    Sicilly
    Vietnam
    Zanzibar
    The Maldives
    Wyetry - you should really try to go to Zanzibar, it's beautiful :).

Places I'd like to visit:

Thailand (for the Tiger Temple)
    Vietnam
    Australia (particularly the Great Barrier Reef)
    New Zealand
    Bali
    Poland (I really want to visit Auschwitz)
    Anywhere in the Amazon Rainforest
    Anywhere in North Africa
    Egypt
    Italy
    Chicago
    California
    NYC, although I've already been but I'd like to visit when it's not so hot (went in mid-July for 3 days)
    Canada

Loads of other places I can't think of just now.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Wyetry wrote: »
    oddly Minehead Butlins....

I went last spring for ATP - excellent reason to go if ever there was one. :D
    Franki wrote: »
    Wyetry - you should really try to go to Zanzibar, it's beautiful :).

I wanted to go when i was in kenya a few weeks back (different country i know but a shorter flight :D) but i couldn't becaue of the need for malaria tablets and my yellow fever vaccination is out of date but maybe next year...
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I wanted to go when i was in kenya a few weeks back (different country i know but a shorter flight :D) but i couldn't becaue of the need for malaria tablets and my yellow fever vaccination is out of date but maybe next year...
    We went when my dad was living in Tanzania and even though we only stayed in the hotel (Blue Bay beach hotel, I recommend it :)) it was so lovely. The airport is weeny haha.
    I already live in the best of countries :D

but there only a few places I do not want to visit. So I hope I can make a lot of ticks on my "been there"-list in my life.
    Franki wrote: »
    Thailand (for the Tiger Temple)

Australia (particularly the Great Barrier Reef)

I was snorkling on the Barrier Reef a few months ago. It was fucking awesome. Saw a big green sea turtle, so I dived under, grabbed onto it's shell and got pulled along with it as it swam for as long as I could hold my breath (not long). Such an amazing feeling...also saw a reef shark, but that was through the windows of a semi-sub, luckily just after I'd gotten out of the water! :nervous:

Meh to Tiger Temple. lol. I went there TWICE, and didn't get in either time. So I have bitter memories of waiting outside smoking fags with Thai tuk tuk drivers, while my companions petted Tigers.
    My girlfriend went in and she enjoyed it, but there's alot of concern as to how well the Tigers are looked after. The monks who set the place up had good intentions. Unfortunately it's not the monks looking after the Tigers... and anyone who's been to Thailand knows how 'considerate' alot of Thai people are when it comes to wildlife and the enviroment. Lots of people say that the Tigers are drugged.
    There's no proof either way, it's just an ethical choice you have to make and hope you chose the right one.
    Australia/new zealand.
    Venice.
    Ireland.
    Florida for the kids disneyworld
    + butlins at Devon Cliffs my best childhood hol ever.
    - Italy for the culture and the history (and the women).
    - Brazil for the festival (ok, and the women!)....in fact, all over S America.
    - Australia for the beaches and the surf, and some cool people I know out there.
    - Maldives, while it's still there...
    - Egypt for the pyramids.
    - Macchu Pichu
    - Mt Everest
    - Sedona, Arizona for the cool vibes and people.
    - These places for spiritual reasons.
    New York City
    Brisbane
    Melbourne
    San Francisco
    Vancouver
    Singapore
    Thailand
    Peru
    Las Vegas
    Sri Lanka
    Fiji
    Seattle
    Calgary
    Montreal
    Dubai
    Cambodia
    Auckland

I want to go back to:

Quebec - to explore properly
    Sydney - to appreciate from an elder perspective (i was a teenager when i went)
    Christchurch - as above
    Cairns - as above
    Toronto & Buffalo (inc Niagara again) - as above
    I'd love to go to most of these places !!
    But as I currently don't have the super-adventurous travel bug, I'm just gonna put down where I'll *hopefully* be going this year and next:

South Korea
    Spain
    Maybe Turkey / Greece

Then travelling through Southern Asia next year, probably Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia then down into Bali and maybe on into Australia (funds allowing!)

Would love to see Canada and a few places in North America (mainly New York) also
    Interesting that Australia is high on most people's lists. I personally see no interest in the place, as I hold virtually nothing but contempt for most of its citizens or it's cultural contributions to the world (AC/DC aside) and but that's another story.

A far from definitive list:

- NZ
    - Argentina, Buenos, down Patagonia to the Cono Sur
    - Mexico, when the plague that's meant to kill us all dies down
    - Chile
    - Brazil
    - Kamchatka (said to be the real cradle of the planet)
    - Siberia
    - Caspian Sea
    - A Tour of the Soviet 'stans: Turkmenistan, Tazhikistan, Kyrghistan, Azerbijan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan
    - Japan, especially rural Japan (I imagine it to be a lot like Spirited Away)
    - Cambodia, partly so I can sing Holiday in Cambodia to myself
    - Laos
    - India
    - Sri Lanka
    - Scandinavia
    - Also do a tour of all the graves of the rock and rollers who died too young.
    South America:
    Peru - to work with street children
    Argentina - patagonia and other things
    Chile - i just do
    Mexico - because its meant to be beautiful!

North America:
    Vermont - ben and jerry's!
    NYC
    Philidelphia
    new orleans
    portland, oragon
    Seatle
    San fransisco
    Toronto
    Vancover
    (i'd like to do a road trip across america)

Europe:
    Barcelona (because i can't remeber much of the last time i was there)
    Tarifa, costa de la luz, southern spain - amazing surf and such a chilled out place
    Amalfi coast - my mum's on off boyfriend lives there half the year
    Rome
    Venice
    Florence
    Vienna - want to be able to say i've been to a ball in vienna
    Copenhagen - mermaid statue!
    Amsterdam - red light district and the museums
    Berlin - industrial scene there is meant to be something else!

Asia-
    Thailand - because its meant to be beautiful and very chilled out
    India - goa, dehli - to work with street kids, i'd like to go see the dalai lama as well
    Bornio- to see orangatans in the wild
    Japan - just because the culture is so different

Australia - great barrier reef, to meet fiona horne, and some other stuff
    NZ - looks beautiful, and i have a good friend who is moving back there next year

Africa-
    morroco - because it looks like a fancinating place and i'd like to visit 1 muslim country

Uk and Ireland
    Dublin - for st paddys
    Giants causeway
    west coast of ireland for the beauty
    iceni village in norfolk
    snowdonia
    brighton - mainly to go find my friend's grave :(
    Maine!
    If in some kind of miracle I got some money I would go on a trip from:
    Britain - France - Spain - Morocco - Eygpt - Kenya - South Africa - India - Thailand - China - Japan - Russia - Canada - United States

That would be pretty cool, like take a year out and save something like £10,000 or whatever it costs to travel for a year :s and just travel spending a couple of weeks in each place. I think it would be a really eye opening experience!

As it stands I have no where near that much money so I think in the short term I would like to travel to some European countries like Finland, Netherlands, Germany, Austria etc. as you could probably do one over 4 days and get some cheap flights :D heh.
    Interesting that Australia is high on most people's lists. I personally see no interest in the place, as I hold virtually nothing but contempt for most of its citizens or it's cultural contributions to the world (AC/DC aside) and but that's another story.

I used to feel the same way... didn't have any desire to visit Australia, NZ, Canada or the US. I had just been travelling in South East Asia, and Australia was the last place I wanted to go next.
    But then I met my girlfriend and I ended up here, and mate, it's by far one of the most extraordinary countries I've ever been to (and I'm fairly well travelled). Queensland itself has 3 world heritage sights and you can see such a vast contrast in landscapes by travelling Australia.
    You can go from Snowy mountains to lush green valleys and forest, to shrub and dry bushland, to complete barren desert, to tropical paradise and everglades. And don't even get me started on the awesome wildlife that I have seen here, which is rivalled by no where else.
    But granted, culture is lacking severely.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    But granted, culture is lacking severely.

That's what I normally look for. I'm sure I'd have a great time there and, despite the majority of Aussies I've met being complete dickheads, I've met and worked with some absolutely cracking ones. However, I feel that any country whose primary exports to world popular culture include such luminaries as Rolf Harris has some catching up to do.

I'm sure it's exceptionally beautiful, but then again, I don't think I've ever been somewhere where the nature isn't beautiful. I concur with Stephen Fry when he says that all nature is unequivocally beautiful.
    That's what I normally look for. I'm sure I'd have a great time there and, despite the majority of Aussies I've met being complete dickheads

lol Yeah there are some proper aussie cunts...they're very full of themselves. But as you said, also some legends. But I guess that's the same everywhere in the world.
    Maybe I was being slightly harsh when I said 'severely'. There is definately culture here (if by culture you mean cricket, rugby league, AFL and surfing ;) lol), and you'll find more of it in cities such as Sydney or Melbourne, than say Tasmania or the Gold Coast.
    But in general it's a different kind of culture than what we, as europeans, are used to. It's alot more subtle.
    As I said, I felt very much like you did... I was sure the country was beautiful but definately wouldn't have forked out the 1,100 quid for a flight over here if it wasn't for a certain girl. But since living here, I have seen some of the most spectacular things and Australia is definately one of the most amazing countries that I have ever been to.
    Each to their own though!