Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bcg

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long does it take for it to stop killing?! :crying:

I had my BCG injection yesterday and it really hurts and is red and like a lump the size of a pea...is this normal?!

I never had to have it when I was at school as my Heaf test came up as little raised lumps, but nowhere has records of me even having this so had to have the new monteux test and that didn't come up :crying:

The only good thing is I'm not at school anymore for people to punch me in the arm...though my bf said he is willing to do it (how rude!)

Comments

• C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey piecesofme :wave:

Sorry to hear your BCG is still hurting.

These types of injections affect everyone in different ways - soreness and swelling around the area of the injection is a common side effect, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It should heal quite quickly and the swelling will go down over a couple of weeks (it may leave a small scar on your arm).

If the scar is causing severe pain, or affecting you daily routines, it might be worth booking an appointment with your GP to check that everything is OK. It’s normally a good idea to let air get to the scar as this will help it heal.

There’s more information on the BCG injection and common side effects on the NetDoctor website here.

Hope it heals soon and make sure your BF doesn’t punch it!!!

C funk
    :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't let anyone hit it. That hurrrrrrrrts.

Everyone is different though, my friend's went infected within a day, my sister's only went infected after some dickhead punched her arm, and mine was completely fine.

I am just being a big mard arse tbh! Shall see how it goes over the weekend.

I'm fine giving people injections and taking blood just not so good when it comes to having them and having blood taken :rolleyes:
    I don't really remember how mine felt, but both my little ones had theirs at birth. With Aisha i didn't even notice she'd had it (no mark or anything) but Lubnas is still raised, red and looks like it could pop (she's nearly 11weeks now).
    Amira wrote: »
    I don't really remember how mine felt, but both my little ones had theirs at birth. With Aisha i didn't even notice she'd had it (no mark or anything) but Lubnas is still raised, red and looks like it could pop (she's nearly 11weeks now).

A little baby went in before me, I would hate having to give tiny babies injections, I'd feel so awful :no:
    took me abour 4 days for mine to stop hurting..mine is still huge..bout size of a 1p they ruined it XD
    When they were doing them back in Year 10, I missed out because I was 'ill' and the lady wouldn't give it to me =/

But from what I can recall from others, your going to have a large scar, it will hurt for many weeks :)

Enjoy!

I'm yet to have it done! *worries*
    CoolMe wrote: »
    When they were doing them back in Year 10, I missed out because I was 'ill' and the lady wouldn't give it to me =/

But from what I can recall from others, your going to have a large scar, it will hurt for many weeks :)

Enjoy!

Dont worry her, i was the only one in my year of like 100 kids to get a big scar..everyone elses went really tiny..some of which you couldnt even see.
    My BCG is still really big and white, and the skin on it is 'saggy' :/ and this was 10 years ago! LOL
    skakitty wrote: »
    My BCG is still really big and white, and the skin on it is 'saggy' :/ and this was 10 years ago! LOL

Join the club
    I'd rather be told the truth about what's going to happen rather than worry when it goes strange =/
    yeh, people look and go 'god...is that ur BCG?' cuz other ppl have no scar or mark, or theirs is tiny, so i guess it depends on your body :)
    This thread has made me look at my BCG scar for the first time in 10 years! Mine is tiny but visible as it is white against the rest of my arm.

I do remember it hurting like buggery though... one of my friends got hers infected and it was pretty horrible.

Not fun but a necessary evil!
    Babies can get the BCG? I was around 12 when I got mine done.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Babies can get the BCG? I was around 12 when I got mine done.

No she was having her vaccines, but I still felt a big mard arse after my moaning :blush:
    CoolMe wrote: »

Enjoy!

I was sooo glad when they said I didn't need it in year 10 I was the only one in my year who's Heaf test reacted. Ha ha everyone was so jealous ;)

I wouldn't have needed it done this time if records documenting the fact my Heaf test weren't lost :rolleyes:
    piecesofme wrote: »
    No she was having her vaccines, but I still felt a big mard arse after my moaning :blush:
    Oh hehe.
    BCG isnt given routinely to secondary school age children anymore. They have changed the vaccination programme and now iirc its only babies from risk groups that receieve the BCG.

I didn't get mine done at school but about 5 years ago because I work in an enviroment where we work with samples that are to be tested for TB so it made sense to have the jab! My scar is visisble but just a 3mm circle on my arm.

The way they do the BCG is different to other vaccinations because the vaccine is injected into the upper layers of skin and it causes a bubble for vaccine to form. How does youre look at the moment?? any swelling/redness/is it weeping/crusty?
    sneer wrote: »
    The way they do the BCG is different to other vaccinations because the vaccine is injected into the upper layers of skin and it causes a bubble for vaccine to form. How does youre look at the moment?? any swelling/redness/is it weeping/crusty?

The bit where she injected is a red lum about the size of a 5p and then there is a red circle around it about 3 cm wide. It's not weeps just sore :crying:

I've had a read in one of me medical books and I'm just moaning for mo reason...or sympathy ;) ha ha
    I would say give it til Tuesday and if it doesn't look or feel any better maybe go see your doctor.

I wonder if you are having a reaction to the BCG a bit like you reacted to the HEAF test?

Obviously if it gets any worse try and see a doc or someone before then!
    some babies are given it- my friend was born in Dubai so had it before she came to the UK. Here we get it later. Don't know why.

I remember mine feeling sore for a few days afterwards, so I think yours is perfectly normal- maybe if its hurting still in a week or so worry a bit more!

Mines only scarred a little bit which is not too bad.