Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Odd Period?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My gf and i have sex now and again when we're both in the mood like any healthy couple and we always use condoms.

Recently her period was a bit late and finally started the other day but it was apparently much lighter than usual and today she had terrible pains that kept her in bed all day with her pain killers and hot water bottle.

However, her bleeding has stopped and she seemed a little perplexed at this.

Can any women here chime in?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Softworld! Hope your girlfriend is feeling a little better. things depend on how old your girlfriend is & how long she has been getting periods. Stress can often cause a period to be late. If her cycle is a regular 28 days, how late exactly was she and was it one or two days or more that she had her period? Can you give me a little more info on that? Normally with a late period, pain tends to be worse anyway. How is she now & did she feel that she had a temperature? AA temperature can be a sign of an infection, like a bladder infection. If she still feels unwell, perhaps a trip to the doc might help.
    Thanks for the reply NavyBlue, heres the info:

She's 18 so long enough, she's usually pretty regular. She had been on the pill but stopped taking it.
    She was more than a few days, perhaps a week? I think. I'm not 100% when it falls.
    She said a couple of days before it came that it should have happened by then but that she was feeling 'bloaty' like she does when it's charging up.

She was asleep when i called her so i hung up and left her to sleep. Havn't spoken to her since so i'm not sure.

She can be prone to Kidney infections and lately some nights before bed she's been sick and other nights totally fine.

She's planning to goto the docs soon anyway for her HPV and an Implanon as she can get bad cramps during her period and was hoping it'd reduce them (she's terrible timekeeping for the pill to be effective )
    I would tell her to ask the docs at the clinic, i'm sure they will be able to help
    Well stopping the pill can disrupt the cycle, that happened me when I came off the pill. I was def a week late.

Us girls have to go through so much, I'm only after 2 miscarriages in quick succession! Is life easier as a man???
    softworld wrote: »

However, her bleeding has stopped and she seemed a little perplexed at this.

Can I just ask, why was she surprised that the bleeding stopped? Periods always stop after 3 to 5 days. Is it because the bleeding stopped sooner than she expected?
    NavyBlue wrote: »
    Can I just ask, why was she surprised that the bleeding stopped? Periods always stop after 3 to 5 days. Is it because the bleeding stopped sooner than she expected?

yeah because it had only jsut started really and wasn't that heavy. Shes still in pain and theres still no bleeding. According to her it's been a while since her last one.
    yeah because it had only jsut started really and wasn't that heavy. Shes still in pain and theres still no bleeding. According to her it's been a while since her last one.

I really really don't want to freak you out, please don't be mad, but it does sound a little like implantation bleeding. That bleed is usually very light & lasts a day at most, it's where the egg implants in the womb. It's ususlly hapens a few days after the period would be due.I got it a week after my period was due but I miscarried that pregnancy. I suggest she does a test. I may be totally wrong & I don't want to upset you, but it's best to rule it out? It could be something else but it just sounds so like what i had. Thats why i asked you why she was surprised when the bleeding stopped so quickly & was light. She would need to see her doctor to be sure. I really hope she'lll be ok. sorry I don't mean to frighten you, it's just in case.
    NavyBlue wrote: »
    I really really don't want to freak you out, please don't be mad, but it does sound a little like implantation bleeding. That bleed is usually very light & lasts a day at most, it's where the egg implants in the womb. It's ususlly hapens a few days after the period would be due.I got it a week after my period was due but I miscarried that pregnancy. I suggest she does a test. I may be totally wrong & I don't want to upset you, but it's best to rule it out? It could be something else but it just sounds so like what i had. Thats why i asked you why she was surprised when the bleeding stopped so quickly & was light. She would need to see her doctor to be sure. I really hope she'lll be ok. sorry I don't mean to frighten you, it's just in case.

yikes. That's pretty scary since we're both only 18.

I dont understand how though, we've always used condoms and they've never split or come off, only slipped down half way and not far enough that'd compromise it.

Would she be getting terrible pains?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I guess at the end of the day, the main thing is she would be best off going to her GP or local family planning clinic or GUM clinic for a check up. That's probably the only thing that will give both of you true peace of mind. :)

Brook centres are great if you have one of those close by, otherwise you could check the FPA website for a local clinic.

It's great she has a supportive boyfriend like you :)
    Haha Thanks Helen, the only problem is if she is pregnant, I'm going to university in September and she's taking the year out and i've no Job.
    So it'd be tough to provide or be there, especially if she goes elsewhere to the mainland.
    Like helen said, it's best for the doctor to check her now. When I had the implantation bleed there was a period type cramp alright, but everybody is different. It's just unusual that the bleed was light, proper menstrual bleeding is not that light, esp when she's off the pill. Please let us know how you both get on.
    Yeah, i've been reading a few sites to see like this one

http://www.askbaby.com/implantation-bleeding.htm

and it said like others:

Timing - If you conceive you will experience implantation bleeding before your period is due, usually around 9 days after you ovulate

however this was after it was due, much after.

So perhaps it's not this after all?
    It depends on the lenght of your cycle. My cycle is always about 31 to 32 days instead of 28, so I had what is known as "late implantation". Which was about 5 days after my period was due.But of course I'm 34, so my cycle is going to be a bit different to your girlfriends. PLease don't worry, I've probably ruined your nights sleep now!
    ive not read threw all of that, so i dont know if anyone else has said it but seriously.. stop panicing!
    if shes just come off the pill the cycle gets messed up for weeks/months!
    3 months later and ive only just gone back to regular periods again
    and what i want to know is why did she come off the pill??
    meh all very confusing, just take a test go doc's all will be fine :)
    nothings the end of the world
    ive not read threw all of that, so i dont know if anyone else has said it but seriously.. stop panicing!
    if shes just come off the pill the cycle gets messed up for weeks/months!
    3 months later and ive only just gone back to regular periods again
    and what i want to know is why did she come off the pill??
    meh all very confusing, just take a test go doc's all will be fine :)
    nothings the end of the world

Haha thanks Freakypurple, she came off it because she wouldnt take it all the time or on time and she just stopped taking it.
    So how is your girlfriend feeling now?
    I hope she's been to the doctor, it's important. It could be any number of things.

I have to say my first reaction was early stage miscarriage, which is really common, but it's impossible for any of us to say without examining her.
    We talked about it the other day and determined she couldn't be pregnant, since we're always safe, using the extra safe ones and we've never had one split or break or come off.

She isn't sleeping around and I only ejaculate if we're in a certain position so unless it's immaculate conception or some unbelievable FREAK chance, it couldn't be that since during foreplay we're always very careful there isn't any accidental transfer, like food poisoning during food preparation :D

I told her to go to the doctor to see what was up but she said she's going to wait for a bit to see if it comes and then go because he will order no end of blood, urine and pregnancy tests and she's not a needle fan and doesn't enjoy peeing on command for the man.
    I only ejaculate if we're in a certain position so unless it's immaculate conception

I don't understand this bit as you can get pregnant in any position.
    Kermit wrote: »
    I have to say my first reaction was early stage miscarriage, which is really common, but it's impossible for any of us to say without examining her.

Yes with my first miscarriage at 7 weeks (period 3 weeks late), there wasn't actually that much bleeding. Another thing is could be is a "chemical pregnancy" where the fertlised egg fails to implant & is passed out of the body usually around a week after the period should have been due. with a chemical pregnancy, the pregnancy has failed also. Alot of pain involved there too.

The thing is you are both young & fertile, so pregnancy can happen. a freind of mine got pregnant years ago & she didn't even have full sex with her boyfriend the night she concieved! The thing is, whatever it may be, & esp if there is even a small chance that a pregnancy occured & has failed, she seriously needs attention. If any products of conception remain in the womb, she could get an infection. This almost happened me with my second miscarriage. We all hate hospitals & needles but the sooner ye know whats going on the better!
    well today we did a pregnancy test and it was negative :D :yippe: :yippe: :yippe:

So it was smiles all round and friday we're having champers :D
    well today we did a pregnancy test and it was negative :D :yippe: :yippe: :yippe:

So it was smiles all round and friday we're having champers :D

Well thats what ye wanted so thats good for ye, no more worrying!
    P.S. Saw your other thread, look I know a preganacy is the last thing ye needed, but it's so important to be careful from now on. I know i've been rattling on about my miscarriages, but I had a termination 10 years ago & now feel like i have no one to blame but myself. Plus mine was done properly & all, but even if it's not physically the cause of the miscarriages, in my "mind" it is. PLease, don't end up in a situation like me, where you will regret it forever.