Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Inducing Abortion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As some might already know my partner and I are have a pregnancy scare and a test tomorrow will confirm if our entire lives are going down the pan.

As we live in northern ireland, getting to a BPAS clinic is a long journey and very very expensive if we can't get the procedure done on the NHS.

A friend of mine that I explained my predicament to, said that if she takes a quantity of her contraceptive pills it'll induce a miscarriage, however to me although this sounds like it'd work, would it hurt her?

At the minute we're currently looking at expenses of nearly £500 or so for the procedure if it's non NHS and either a 6 hour drive to newcastle or an expensive flight to somewhere else in england.

We essentially cant keep the child as we have exams coming up then im going to univeristy.
I've no job and her house is crowded enough already.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Several contraceptive pills can have the same effects as a morning after pill. But presumably they also only work within the same sort of timeframe as a the MAP too.

What's the deal with getting it on the NHS? Is there any way you can register with an English doctor and get the abortion that way? If not, are there any charities that could help with the cost?
    Could get lucky with flights, can sometimes get really cheap ones. Have a look anyway.
    A high dose of contraceptive pills given the right dose and ratio may have a similar effect to the emergency contraceptive pill, but if there is already an established pregnancy then it won't induce an abortion.

Hope you can get some help with the NHS
    dont even risk it. If its got so far that its a pregnancy scare rather than an extremely recent contraceptive accident, then the MAP wouldnt work, therefore no amount of contraceptive pills would have a similar effect.
    I would suggest going down the normal route and trying to get one on the NHS, or getting it done privately as a last resort if money is tight. Maybe parents can help you with funding it
    I rem when the nurse precribed me cerezette, she said 'these are what we used to use as the morning after pill' like... 5 packs or something >_< ouch!
    Please read the post I left on the "odd period". ta.
    there are many organisations which will pay for you to come over to england and have the abortion on the NHS or privately.

I'll see if i can scout around and find some names and numbers for you!

but don't on any account take lots of contraceptive pills, because this can really fuck things up and make you really ill.
    there are many organisations which will pay for you to come over to england and have the abortion on the NHS or privately.

I'll see if i can scout around and find some names and numbers for you!

but don't on any account take lots of contraceptive pills, because this can really fuck things up and make you really ill.

I think by his other thread the pregnancy test was negative, so thats that.
    However, in relation to my 2 recent miscarriages , I had an abortion 10 years ago (properly done) but whats causing the miscarriages though? I've learned the hard way. Orgs may pay for you to travel for one, but the re-percussions come in time:crying:
    NavyBlue wrote: »
    I think by his other thread the pregnancy test was negative, so thats that.
    However, in relation to my 2 recent miscarriages , I had an abortion 10 years ago (properly done) but whats causing the miscarriages though? I've learned the hard way. Orgs may pay for you to travel for one, but the re-percussions come in time:crying:

Its probably got nothing to do with it. I have had an abortion and have gone on to have three children in my own time and when i was ready (and one miscarriage)
    The chances of an abortion causing any fertility problems are absolutely tiny. You have a much higher risk from pregnancy and childbirth
    Don't do anything what your friend says in such a matter. I'm no expert but it sounds stupid already. Why not take rat poison? Probably not good for the child either!?!

really check up with your gp (or other doctors) about your options and inform yourself about charities or institutions that advice women in such circumstances (like support groups).
    Its probably got nothing to do with it. I have had an abortion and have gone on to have three children in my own time and when i was ready (and one miscarriage)
    The chances of an abortion causing any fertility problems are absolutely tiny. You have a much higher risk from pregnancy and childbirth

Thanks, I know I am really beating myself up about it, I suppose it's just one of those things. Not a decision I made lightly but still feel like I'm being punished! Once things work out I'll feel more relieved!
    i hope things work out for you
    it is never a good idea to talke too many of any pills as there is a limit for a reason
    hugs
    x