Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Menstrual cramps and age

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I kept hearing, all my life, the big fat LIE that my period cramps would get better "later". After kids, after 30, whatever. And that my periods would get SHORTER.

Well I'm 36 with 2 kids and they are as horrid as they were in 8th grade. As in double over, want-to-die horrid. I have said before that I've had cramps worse than childbirth pains... and that's no exaggeration.

My periods are also almost always 7 days and fairly heavy. Blech.

So I'm wondering, has anyone actually seen this holy grail of lighter/less painful/shorter periods after having kids or turning 30?

I actually have a tiny ray of hope. This month there was less pain and for the first time ever it was only about 5 days, not 7. I had given up hope, figured I'd be better off waiting for menopause vs. waiting for some miraculous "improvement".

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you ever spoken to a doctor about it?

I'm younger than you are, but got significant improvement using mefanamic acid.
    mine got a lot better as i got older. I guess it cant be true for everyone
    My doctor told me that all I needed to do was gain weight for my periods to sort themselves out... she was wrong.
    Doctors often tell you what they think you want to hear.
    It's annoying and frustrating and the only way I've found they'll help you is if you presist.
    I just turned 45 and I can say over the past 10 years or so mine have become shorter (3 days) but mine never lasted over 5 days, less painfull yes but lighter they are not!
    kingstonrose
    Go on the pill. It works miracles when it comes to cramps.
    Re: Menstrual cramps and age

Hi,

I regularly get quite debilitating period pains on the first/second day of my menstrual cycle and I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas?
    What points do you find best to tap (and for general pain)? And in any particular succession?

Thanks

I am looking forward any Sugession
    can you not go on the contraceptive pill??
    many people experience shorter, lighter and less painful periods on the pill... just a thaught, xx
    Feminax is the only painkiller that does wonders for me. Have you tried it?

Have you tried mega-dosing on caffeine?

How about fish-oil? I heard the omegas in the fish oil can work wondersy.
    A lot of women that switched from tampons to the Mooncup have reported they've had lighter periods and less pain (and spent a lot less money each month!) since - worth a try imo! http://www.mooncup.co.uk/moretests.asp
    Menstrual cramps and age

I have been drinking so much coffee. I definitely had enough caffeine. I don't know about the fish oil, but I might give it a try.
    Just make sure its pharmaceutical grade. That is the only kind to take. To be extra safe I really recommend oil that comes from sardines and/or anchovies. They are lower on the food chain and have less mercury and stuff to begin with. It might be worth a try.
    Hi
    I'm a research student currently researching women's experience of menstrual pain and help seeking.
    I'd be really grateful if you'd take the time to fill in the questionnaire by clicking the link below.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Tzcj4KW0EghiLAEahxbT4w_3d_3d
    Its completely anonymous and confidential and seeks to inform current practice.
    There is further information following the link and feel free to pass it on to any women you think might be interested.
    Many thanks.
    Yep, I have been happy with allay ,

you find relief soon. That allay becomes your best friend during rough nights.Hopefully it helps