Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pick up artists

Sorry in advance if its in the wrong forum, not sure where to put it

A friend told me that he was getting depressed with his lack of success in the romance department and is considering seeing a PUA. He said it would cost £580 for lessons and he says that the guys been on TV, in the paper and all that stuff.

Im wondering though if it really works? Has anyone ever done it?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not sure if it'll work or not but i'd say its not worth it.

I'm much more likely to find someone attractive if theyre themselves, and if i found out that some guy had paid to have lessons to make himself more attractive then it'd turn me off him. It just seems fake to me.
    that's really stupid. you just learn swimming by going into the water. If you need confidence work on that and not by paying some guy 600 quid.
    Exactly, and theres no one way to go about chatting up a woman. What might turn off one girl, might be anothers cup of tea. Its better to be with the one person out of 100 who actually likes you for you, than have loads of dates with woman who like you cos your putting over this idea of how men should behave., which isnt really you.

(make sense?)
    If you've got that kind of cash to blow, I think you'd be better off spending it on counselling or therapy to boost your self-confidence and self-esteem, rather than throwing it away to some arrogant cock who brags about the amount of one-night stands he has had and how irresistible women find him, and yet who probably has some serious personality defects.
    Get him to read The Game by Neil Strauss. If he still thinks it's a good idea after reading about the fallout and bullshit that accompanies pick up artist stuff then he should go for it.
    He could get hold of a copy of More magazine, either this weeks or last weeks had what the PUA weekend teaches people in it.

(And the conclusion in our all female house, was that the techniques they were recommending were both creepy and sleazy)
    It works in that if he thinks he's been coached by a professional who'll give him guaranteed success he'll feel more confident, and if he feels more confident he's more likely to meet someone.

Other than that, anyone who forks out £600 on something like that is a complete tool.
    Sounds like a con to me.
    If it's who I'm thinking of he's done a show on MTV and it was quite entertaining to watch but I do think there's free/cheaper alternatives to help build confidence.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    but I do think there's free/cheaper alternatives to help build confidence.

Yeah, like whores ;)

I've always thought when it comes to romance, isn't it better to be yourself?
    Surely a PUA is just going to teach you all he's gimmicks, tricks and approaches that he's come up with or stolen off other PUA etc - so that just means you'll be a crappy duplicate of him.....?!:yeees:

IMO, I'd listen to old Frank and do it 'my way' rather than listen to some PUA. If it's not working for *your friend* wink wink :p , try another approach - Women really aren't that scary to talk to.
    Beside, i kinda thought PUA were more about getting you into shagging birds rather than teaching you how to get gfs?
    Tell your mate he can save £580 by simply clicking here....
    Kermit wrote: »
    It works in that if he thinks he's been coached by a professional who'll give him guaranteed success he'll feel more confident, and if he feels more confident he's more likely to meet someone.
    :yes: There are many other (and cheaper) ways to boost your confidence.

As other people have said, different people like different things, for example pick up lines just wont work on me.
    Harmless wrote: »
    Yeah, like whores ;)

Its funny you should say that because when he said "Im gonna go see someone." I thought he meant a prostitute.