Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ema

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey, i was looking through the Student Forum and didn't see any threads to do with EMA, though to be honest, I didn't really look past the first two pages :p

I was just looking to ask those who have had it, or are currently getting it as to what they think of EMA.

I myself am going to go to college in a few months time and due to my parent's income i won't be getting any EMA :( I understand that the Government supposedly made the EMA to help families with low income to support their children's income and to keep the kids off the streets etc. But i think that EMA is great as it gives the receiver more independence, it teaches them how to budget and gives them the freedom to buy what they want within their price range and give them some responsibility - or at least it should.

But the downside to this is that people like me who come from working class backgrounds but due to the parents' joint income earn more than the amount required to receive EMA are not given this independence, the Government only looks at the income, but don't seem to care for the outgoings, its as though they believe that all parents are able to give their children a weekly income to give them their bit of freedom, but in my situation, my parents couldn't afford to waste a penny and at the moment my 18 year old older brother is currently the main focus where any spare money is going to help him in his career and i have no problem with this.

I suppose that the only option i have left would be to look for a part time job in Tesco or something...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yea i agree with this.

I didnt get EMA either cos my parents income was too high but they couldnt afford to give me up to £30 a week! I couldve done with it just as much as the students who did get it. At the time i had a part time job in Costa Coffee so it wasnt so bad, but i'd rather have spent my wages on something else.

I think they should re-evaluate how they distribute the money... maybe base it on how much is earnt compared to how much is spent on house, food, etc
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I think they should re-evaluate how they distribute the money... maybe base it on how much is earnt compared to how much is spent on house, food, etc
    This theory is all well and good, but do you really think the government should be allowed access to everybodies financial information? And if this was to be the case how would it be measured..parents given a form to fill out? Whats to stop them lying on the form and saying they spend more than they do so that you qualify to get ema? The government wouldnt be able to prove if you'd spend £50 on your weekly shop or £500 without substantial violations of privacy (I wouldnt put it past them).
    I get the maximum amount of 30 pounds a week,
    cause well my family is skint broke, and we barely make do most times.

TBH most weeks I give my money to my dad as a form of rent.
    What I DID find extremely usefull is the free bus pass to get to college.
    I live only 2 miles away but at 3.65 each day I would be spending a lot of money! Money we dont have. - Bus pass extremely usefull!

But like I said I think everyone should at least get 10.00 a week, but saying that.. thats kinda bad :S but I reckon everyone shoud get free money -_-
    EMA is paid to people from low income backgrounds because these people are much more likely to leave school at 16 because of financial reasons. Your parents might not have the money to give you £30 a week, but they have enough money to support you through further education. Recipients of EMA often don't have enough money to be supported through further education; if EMA wasn't there, they'd have to get a full time job or claim benefits.

I can see your point, but EMA isn't pocket money.
    But like I said I think everyone should at least get 10.00 a week, but saying that.. thats kinda bad :S but I reckon everyone shoud get free money -_-

But where would the money come from?

I used to receive (now receive something else) it and I think the main problem appears to be, that it doesn't take savings into account. So, if someone's parents are retired or don't need to work, they can claim EMA, even if they have a million in the bank.
    I didnt get EMA either cos my parents income was too high but they couldnt afford to give me up to £30 a week!

Whilst they probably couldn't give you the cash, they could probably afford more than those of us who received the full amount.
    i didnt read all the posts on this thread, but some and yes im in the same position, working class family and just because joint income is over the allowance, i get sweet f.a so all my friends are minted and im broke as fuck, just because my parents earn over 30,000 a year doesnt mean i get 30 pounds a week!!!!!

just another example of the government not being intouch with its public.
    Kermit wrote: »
    I can see your point, but EMA isn't pocket money.

I agree, i get the full amount of EMA per week and it helps so much with my education as im on a full time B-tech Art and Design course. I dont think everyone should get free money eveyweek. I think it should be down to the course you do aswell as what your parents earn, like for instance, if your on a arts course (graphics, art and design, mulitmedia and fashion) i think you should get some sort or financing. But if your doing an academic course (english, ict, maths, science) that i dont think you should get as much financing.

But i do also like how someone said its a good way of independence, i've learnt alot abut money mangement since i've got it and im less dependent on my mum......so i suppose there is two good side to this!
    TBWAH. wrote: »
    i didnt read all the posts on this thread, but some and yes im in the same position, working class family and just because joint income is over the allowance, i get sweet f.a so all my friends are minted and im broke as fuck, just because my parents earn over 30,000 a year doesnt mean i get 30 pounds a week!!!!!

just another example of the government not being intouch with its public.

Your right, but I can safely safe, that you are most likely to get more luxaries than some other kids, whos parents are on under 10 grand a year.
    I'd disagree completely with that. I don't think the Government should be making moral judgements about which course is better.

I think arts subjects are a waste of time and effort- we've got more than enough painters- but science is very useful and we don't have enough doctors or chemists. I don't think scientists should get double EMA, although there's a very strong case for it.

If your parents are earning over £30k a year then they are well off. If they choose to spend that money on a big mortgage and a nice car that's their choice, but they can't say that they're poor.
    I like the idea of a free bus pass for students. Not sure i actually agree with the whole ema situation though tbh, it seems as though a lot of college goers are there purely for the money and because its simply easier than getting a job.
    When i was at college i didnt qualify for anything as i was over the age limit, but i still funded myself by working 15 hours a week, wasnt particularly challenging to do and i wouldnt imagine many youths having trouble doing the same.
    The majority of people on ema at my college were only there for that reason, couldnt give two shits about the assignments they were supposed to do but you can bet your ass they'd turn up to get registered so they can claim their money at the end of the week. Bit of a flawed system if you ask me..
    I agree, i get the full amount of EMA per week and it helps so much with my education as im on a full time B-tech Art and Design course. I dont think everyone should get free money eveyweek. I think it should be down to the course you do aswell as what your parents earn, like for instance, if your on a arts course (graphics, art and design, mulitmedia and fashion) i think you should get some sort or financing. But if your doing an academic course (english, ict, maths, science) that i dont think you should get as much financing.

But what value does an art course give to society? But if someone does maths, science or ICT (I've done all those at A level standard at some point) then they will be giving something back to society.

Not sure how you decided that people doing ICT and maths courses should get less/no EMA. I do both (as well as English) and do spend quite a lot of money on materials for those courses. (admittedly, a lot of it is folders and the usual stationery)
    Melian wrote: »
    But what value does an art course give to society? But if someone does maths, science or ICT (I've done all those at A level standard at some point) then they will be giving something back to society.

Not sure how you decided that people doing ICT and maths courses should get less/no EMA. I do both (as well as English) and do spend quite a lot of money on materials for those courses. (admittedly, a lot of it is folders and the usual stationery)

I didn't think she meant that Art or Design or whatever was better or more important, simply that they use a lot more materials and materials all of which college asks you to pay for, think about it take maths for example you buy a calculator and a folder etc and it lasts you.

Design/Art students have to keep replenishing their supplies weekly sometimes even daily.

I do however agree that their shouldn't be allowances for different subjects, it does come off across as favoritism.
    I didn't think she meant that Art or Design or whatever was better or more important, simply that they use a lot more materials and materials all of which college asks you to pay for, think about it take maths for example you buy a calculator and a folder etc and it lasts you.

Design/Art students have to keep replenishing their supplies weekly sometimes even daily.

I do however agree that their shouldn't be allowances for different subjects, it does come off across as favoritism.

Its exactly what i ment, i can easily spend 30 pounds in a week on materials, sometimes more. I can see how it would come over as favoritism, and its probally not the best of ideas, but i never said that art and design is more important so therefore we should get more, i think that science is extremely important also math and english, and other academic subjects. I was only saying that courses like mine use more materials, a folder and calculators can last years sometimes, but art materials dont.
    The other alternative would be for courses to provide the materials, thus being fair to everyone.
    I got the full quota myself, and it was used as it was intended to be - for my lunch money, and school trips, art materials, etc. I understand that people will feel they are being hard done by simply because because their parents earn more, but I honestly don't know how my parents would have coped paying for everything for me had I not been entitled to it.

capo2