Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Urinary Infections - STI?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been wioth my girlfriend for a year and a half and in that time she's had 3 infections. She says that she had a kidney infection but people I've spoken to (including her workmate) have said it could be due to sex (Having sex too hard or STI since it's a recurring problem)

My only issue with this is that we haven't had sex in over 2 months (she says she just hasn't felt in the mood) so it isn't down to vigorous sex and she is the first person who I have slept with so it isn't that I've given her an STI.

I asked her before and she says that 2 of her sexual partners were virgins and the only other person (who she was with before me) had been with a few girls and isn't the careful type (although she swears she's never had unprotected sex)

Could one of you guys maybe clarify the situation for me? I'm this close to making her get checked out because apart from this, the no sex thing is driving me nuts and making me think she's getting it elsewhere.

Comments

• Options
    My ex is now married, and I believe to be very-likely faithful, and I know she's had these infections from time to time.

Cranberry juice is supposed to help. :)
  • Options
    Urinary tract infections are fairly common in women because of where their urethra is. Sex can sometimes trigger them, especially if they don't urinate afterwards, but they just happen.
  • Options
    Women are more prone to developing UTIs and although they can be linked to intercourse that doesn't mean they are STIs.

Also once a women has a UTI that greatly increases the chances of her developing them again.

I assume she has been to the doctor about this anyway to get treatment? So how are you proposing to 'get her checked out'?

Please bear in mind the impact accusing your girlfriend of having sex with someone else will have on your relationship! The fact that you are harboring these doubts anyway is concerning because it sounds like you just don't trust her.
  • Options
    You can also get them as a result of pregnancy, she isn't pregnant is she?

But like Kermit said, they are usually due to regular sex and not going to the toilet afterwards, as bacteria is pushed up the urethra. However, as you have said you aren't having sex regularly this may not be the reason.
  • Options
    As someone else said, some people are particularly vulnerable to UTIs, for no real reason whatsoever.

It's no real suprise if she's getting them that she doesn't feel like sex though.
  • Options
    You can also be prone to them if you are stressed or run down. My grandma gets them all the time, and as you may imagine, she doesn't get about much.
  • Options
    Hey lovely, im female, been seeing my current partner for around 4 months and in that space I managed to get 3 UTIs, he also had one, went to the doctor, doctor told him he could have chylmdia, so we both got tested, both clean. Basically they're normal, caused by sex , if shes getting re-occuring problems with them then she may want to see her doctor to see if they have any preventive methods/tips, and she could have "gone off" sex because she knows that she may end up getting one again. They are really uncomfortable, annoying and sometimes painful :banghead: