Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

2,4,6,8 - Diet

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go_away wrote: »
    Yep and they're quite expensive considering you're paying for oily skidmarks. Wait a sec, 'oily,' 'Alli,' :chin:

how much are they?
    they had them advertised in the window of boots today
    Oh my god, are you serious about the side effects - might you actually shit yourself??!! Do you really need a change of underwear?

Wow. I think I'll stick to my boring healthy diet and exercise plan then.
    jamelia wrote: »
    Oh my god, are you serious about the side effects - might you actually shit yourself??!! Do you really need a change of underwear?

Wow. I think I'll stick to my boring healthy diet and exercise plan then.

Yeh you do! I watched a programme where a woman was talking about these diet pills. She had the same ones but when they were only prescribed by your Dr. She said that when she went to the loo she just constantly passed this yellowy, oily water as she was just shitting out fat. Also if she farted she said that she would basically shit herself. Supposedly they are that bad the side effects that it's rare people complete the course of tablets let alone get halfway through a box.
    As someone has said healthy eating (the right amount of calories/nutrients/etc...) and the right kind of exercise is the best way to lose weight. Companies who make diet pills just make money out of vunerable people who are desperate to lose weight quickly
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Yeh you do! I watched a programme where a woman was talking about these diet pills. She had the same ones but when they were only prescribed by your Dr. She said that when she went to the loo she just constantly passed this yellowy, oily water as she was just shitting out fat. Also if she farted she said that she would basically shit herself. Supposedly they are that bad the side effects that it's rare people complete the course of tablets let alone get halfway through a box.

Good god, that's disgusting :sour:
    And people choose this over a healthy-eating/exercise regime why?!?!
    Eddish wrote: »
    Good god, that's disgusting :sour:
    And people choose this over a healthy-eating/exercise regime why?!?!

It's a quick fix isn't it...people just see it as an easy way and can't be arsed with the hassel of actually getting off their arse and doing some exercise and eating a few more vegetables :rolleyes:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Moving this thread to health & wellbeing as the way I see it, any thread that leads onto a discussion about diet pills isn't about food and more about health issues.
    piecesofme wrote: »

Thats why your supposed to go a very low fat diet if you take the pills. Its only for those with a BMI over 28 but its one of those products I think will be misused unless its taken under medical supervision. I need to lose weight but I'll do the old better diet, more exercise route rather then take a pill with those sorts of side effects.
    I know it's been said, but starting off with 200 calories then increasing is just really stupid.
    It's not going to speed up your metabolism, it's going to mess up and confuse your system.

I'm pretty sure slowly reducing your calorie intake is the best way to do it, I wouldn't recommend going under 800-1000 calories.
    I usually had somewhere in the region of 3,500 to 4,000 calories a day in training in the army, yes I really did eat shedloads, and over three months I still lost 1.5 stone.

So cutting down on calories is a load of balls, to be fair though I was exercising a lot!
    I need those pills! To mix them in my enemy's drinks! *evil laughter*
    MrG wrote: »
    I usually had somewhere in the region of 3,500 to 4,000 calories a day in training in the army, yes I really did eat shedloads, and over three months I still lost 1.5 stone.

So cutting down on calories is a load of balls, to be fair though I was exercising a lot!

Uh, well, of course you can eat whatever you want when you exercise, but if you're not exercising, you have to cut down on calories to lose weight.
    Is Alli prounounced Al-ee or Al I (a lie)? hehe
    al (like a guys name) eye

Or alli like axis and allies I guess might be a easier way.

or at least thats how they pronounce it here. And from what I've heard, delicious oily discharge is not an uncommon side effect thats few and far between. Unless you are very strict with the fat intake in your diet you'll poop your pants :p
    And if you have a very low fat diet anyway, the pill really isn't going to help much.
    i'm not in any way advocating the 2468 diet as a good thing but i have to wonder what the difference is in calorie restriction faddy diets and things like lighter life, stomach stapling and gastric banding which youcan get through the NHS? i knowthose are for extreme obesity cases but at some point those people are going to be small people on extremely restrictive diets? surely the science is the same , you eat less you weigh less. can anyone enlighten me?
    surely the science is the same , you eat less you weigh less. can anyone enlighten me?

your body is like a stove. It needs stuff to burn. If you eat so little (200 kcal is about one snickers bar a day), you do not provide your body enough nutrients to live. He starts to metabolise your muscle mass etc. At such a low calory intake you will be tired all the time and probably dizzy and it's likely you get sick off it. Basically it's like torture. -> the fire in the stove gets very small, and heats very little. (if you can follow the analogy)

As soon as you start to eat properly again and you throw wood in the stove then the purgatory will be a gentle breeze compared to the fire in the stove (your metabolism). You will eat lots and your body will start to store nutrients again. Since it's easier to store fat than build muscles (out of protein), you will become fatter (especially women).

So you suffered and did unhealthy things to your body and the balance is negative: you've become fatter.

I'm just an amateur with this stuff, but I think that's about right.

If you are not having surgery, a balanced nutrition (the right ratio of carbs, protein, fats and of course vitamins and trace elements) and exercise (to let the body have a higher demand of energy, i.e. it burns fat) is the only sensible way for long time effect weightloss.

It's like with making money: there is not really a not dodgy shortcut. Just hard work and determination.