Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Morning after pill from chemists

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know that most major chemists do the morning after pill.

Anyway basic story is I need to get one tomorrow due to condom slippage so im popping into boots. Do i just go up to the chemist counter and ask for the morning after pill? Will they ask me questions etc etc? I hate talking to strangers about things like this so I just like to be prepared!

xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Super_Star wrote: »
    I know that most major chemists do the morning after pill.

Anyway basic story is I need to get one tomorrow due to condom slippage so im popping into boots. Do i just go up to the chemist counter and ask for the morning after pill? Will they ask me questions etc etc? I hate talking to strangers about things like this so I just like to be prepared!

xx

yea, they will ask questions.

If you are unlucky like one of my partners some time ago he/she asks loud enough for other people in the queue to hear.

- When is your next period due?!
    - yesterday
    *baffled look*

what shall I say? A real pirate sets sail in the red sea too :cool:

It won't be half bad, but I'm just saying so you're prepared.
    They usually have a consultation room in the chemist where they take privately to ask you questions like:

> What was the date of your last period
    > When are you next due to come on
    > Have you had unprotected sex within last 72hrs
    > Have you had unprotected sex at another time within this cycle
    > Any chance you could be pregnant?

You have to take it in front of them too and sign a piece of paper saying you understand the potential side affects. They will also try and educate you on alternative, longer term methods of contraception.
    i found it hard to find a chemist that sold it when i wanted it a couple of months ago...it doesnt always say on their websites whether they do or not, and when i went to a big one near me which i thought would have it for sure, they didnt, and i was really embarassed. they didnt even give me advice on where they did sell it either. i just walked out redfaced!

sorry im no help, just wanted to give my experience.
    It's probably worth calling up somewhere first to make sure they do. Where does and where doesn't can be a bit random.

Walk in Centres usually do as well if thats any help (and is free there).
    Go to the family planning clinic, walk-in centre or your GP and you can get it for free. Boots can charge up to £20 if memory serves me right.
    Well that was easy!

Just went to boots asked, they were very nice, they asked me a few questions like you said.

Also said theyd had loads of people asking for it today!! There must be something in the air or something :S

And it was free :) But i think thats just a coventry area thing as there were special signs about!
    Super_Star wrote: »
    Well that was easy!

Just went to boots asked, they were very nice, they asked me a few questions like you said.

Also said theyd had loads of people asking for it today!! There must be something in the air or something :S

And it was free :) But i think thats just a coventry area thing as there were special signs about!

I am sorry to hear of your experience with the condom slippage. these things happen! I'm sure the morning after pill is quite safe to take on very rare occasions. I'm surprised to hear that there were alot of other people in the chemist looking for it too! It works by altering the lining of the womb, so that the fertilised egg cannot implant & dies & travels on out of the body, sort of like what happens with a chemical pregnancy. I have never taken the morning after pill, but was on the contraceptive pill for years. I do worry that all these things affect us though, I've had 2 miscarriages in very quick succession after coming off the pill. the lining of the womb is so delicate! I do hope that they can invent a very safe form of contraception in the future, but i'm sur by the time they do, I'll probably have gone thru the menopause, & won't need it anyway!