Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Maximum memory allowed?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I've got an Intel dual-core processor/board which can take the 4GB RAM, but I've forgotten which operating systems can take 2GB and which can take 4GB. Can anyone advise please? My query came to light when I had WoW, PSP7 and Firefox open simultaneously and memory consumption was 2.20GB *blushes*
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They can all take 4gb. But you need a 64 bit operating system to address all of it (i.e. give it a 'location' and be usable by the operating system / applications). 32 bit just doesn't have enough address space and so say you have a graphics card with 512mb ram that also needs addressed windows will only see maybe 3.5gb of ram instead of 4.

I wouldnt worry really though.
    Yeah, upgrade your OS to 64bit. To be honest it's not worth it for 4GB. I would only really do it for 6GB+.
    Just remember that 2 gb memory consuption is very normal with a normal OS. Depending on the OS it will always drain available memory for caching/virtual memory/swap and even for background services like indexing in Windows. I'm looking into a 4,5 gb consumption right here now, having only a couple of browser windows open.

I'd even switch to a 64 bit OS even with just 4 gb, they are getting more stable and stable. Using Vista 64 bit here with 8gb, and have had no problems at all (was actually positively surprised by that). Old stuff and games that needs 32 bit can almost always run in 32 bit simulation mode.
    The only thing vista 64 cant do is 16 bit. There are no real other issues with it these days.

But for the sake of a reformat I wouldn't bother until you need to reformat your PC.
    That's awesome. Thanks a lot ShyBoy, JS and T-Kay :-)