Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

would the landlord be ok with this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know every landlord is different and mine seems okay so hopefully he will be fine with it. Money for rent comes out my account at the begining of every month usually. I haven't had any problems up till now but I wont be able to afford the rent on the 1st May. I know I have enough money coming into my account at the latest on 6th May. Would it sound unreasonable to just ask for him to hold off till then?

I dont want to get lumbered with an overdraft again. I have a feeling he'll say that's fine. Would it be him that would hold off the direct debit thing or me? Sorry I'm clueless!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just ring them and explain. They will most likely be fine :)
    thanks :) maybe it's better if i ask him whose job it will be to delay the direct debit. i just wanted to know that im not being cheeky or anything.

me+money+rent= catastrophe!

i like to think i'm getting on top of it now tho :)
    It will probably be a combination of you and him who stops the direct debit.

To be safe, go into the bank and check. Direct debits have this nasty habit of carrying on regardless.
    Could you negotiate a very temporary i.e. 5 day temporary interest free overdraft with your bank? Then it will clear by the 6th may and you dont have to worry aout it :)

just a suggestino
    Hello :wave:

If you think your landlord will be OK with it I'd just go ahead and ask and explain it's just a one off. As far as the direct debit goes, if it's the same amount every month then it may well be a standing order and these are even easier to change. Sometimes you can adjust them via your online banking.

Either way, you're best off calling your bank to check, they should be able to adjust the payment date for you :)
    Ok I rang him and he said he will take it out on the 10th just incase :) V helpful landlord! :o Thanks for all of your advice!