Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Low Blood Sugar (reactive hypoglycaemia)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a rant about this as it's now 10:30, and because i had lots of carbs for dinner i'm now hungry/ feeling faint again!

I've had this for a few years, It mainly happens when i eat a big meal - especially pasta or something spicy, and about 2-4 hours later i start to feel weak/shaky/hungry etc. Another trigger time is morning, if i wake up late, i tend to feel the same :/

I eat quite a lot, and I try to be healthy but has anyone got any other tips to control it?:mad:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The usual way to control it is to eat a balanced diet including slow release carbohydrates.

If you're doing that and it's still happening then it's probably worth seeing a doctor just to check there isn't something awry.
    Instead of eating big meals three times a day, instead have six more frequent meals.

Also increase you fiber intake. Soluble fiber breaks down in your digestive system into a sticky substance. This substance slows down the speed that food empties from the stomach as well as the absorption rate of the glucose. High fiber foods at meal time will help to reduce hypoglycemic symptoms between meals.

Try and avoid coffee too.
    Ahhh brilliant :D I will def take a look into this because the only advice i got from my doctor was 'eat a balanced diet, and more bananas!' LOL

My metabolism is rather fast, which is annoying! but i do try to snack a lot all the time really- it's just annoying that rather than getting my signal to eat from hunger pangs, i tend to get it from hypo symptoms :/
    squeal wrote: »
    Instead of eating big meals three times a day, instead have six more frequent meals.

Also increase you fiber intake. Soluble fiber breaks down in your digestive system into a sticky substance. This substance slows down the speed that food empties from the stomach as well as the absorption rate of the glucose. High fiber foods at meal time will help to reduce hypoglycemic symptoms between meals.

Try and avoid coffee too.

Oooh. Interesting advice! I have blood-sugar issues, tho not manifesting the same way as skakitty (actually, talking to her about it a while ago made me much more aware of ways to control it!!)

Diet and frequency of it is definitely important. They recommend smaller but more regular meals if you look into body building / fitness regimes, but I think that with most things like that, it's applicable to everyone in general - keep a constant supply of energy going to your body and you'll not feel the peaks and troughs so much.
    but i think the problem is the type of food sources you use, cuz i find stuff like pasta really nice to eat, but it makes my sugar crash horrendously! (yet i still keep eating it...that and chocolate, *tut tut*)
    Well yeah, a healthy balanced diet yours is not :p
    Find something to go with the pasta that balances it out maybe? Or an alternative that isn't chocolate ...

Sadly I'm shite with food so now I'm just clutching at straws, like a cat with some string.
    I had it with curry, which was probably not a good idea :/ i think i might go eat some cheese (Cheese is the BEST THING EVAR for my lows)
    My diet consists of many healthy things, just not on the weekends :p (when it consists of kfc and cider.....)