Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Female Probs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't post much nowadays but just wanted some info really.
Basically thanks to some high strength antibiotics i've now got thrush :blush: Never had it before and can happily say i never ever want it again! But basically just wondered for those who have had it, how long did it last, how did you get rid of it etc?
Docs have told me to use the canestan cream and take the tablet so have done, just hoping it bloody works as it's driving me absolutely crackers. I stupidly never realised before how painful and annoying it can be. Trouble is because i've had to come off the antibiotics i've still got the other problem too so it's making me a right grumpy baggage :yeees:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if youve taken the tablet, itll probably clear up quite quickly now.
    I always found the pessary really effective

thrush is so horrible
    Aww I feel your pain, it's awful.

When I've had it the symptoms stopped about 48 hours after taking the tablet.

All I can suggest is that you take acidophilus while you're on the antibiotics and or eat a lot of live yoghurt and stuff.

And obviously see the doctor if the thrush comes back or hasn't cleared up in the time that the leaflet on the thrush meds says it should.
    None of my friends have ever had thrush (surprising really as it's so common) so i couldn't get any info from them and they really couldn't understand why i was so uncomfortable and sore from it.
    To be fair i wondered what the hell it was when it first hit. Docs reckon i'd probably got low level thrush but then the antibiotics just made it flare up.

The tablet leaflet says between one and two days so took it yesterday afternoon so hoping by tomorrow i should be feeling normal again. Feel a lot better today to be fair, more uncomfortable than in pain.

I've got to see the docs again anyway as got to swap antibiotics to get rid of previous problem :yeees:
    Ah well, quick update. Still no better. Went to the docs on sat and they gave me a new cream with steroids in. Unfortunately still not working 100% so going back to docs tomorrow :(
    Starting to really get me down which is really unlike me. Usually i grin and bear pain, stiff upper lip and all that and ignore it but this has really got me depressed and stressed out. Have lost my appetite, have had to quit alcohol for the time being as that wouldn't be sensible, and pretty much given up my social and sports life as it's too uncomfortable.
    Sorry for whinge, guess i just need to vent as not really told anyone else apart from parents about it. :no:
    Rubbishness.

I take it someone has bothered to tell you about all the little things that can help like wearing cotton granny pants and not wearing tights.
    Just thought I'd mention as well... If you've got a partner and have had sex before you found out about the thrush or during then it's worth getting him treated for it too incase you keep passing it back and forth. Dunno if this would apply to you but thought I'd say anyway.
    Thanks. Luckily he's very easy to talk to about this sort of thing and i've discussed it with him, there's a sex ban on :blush:

And i googled it once the docs had said the other week and i've ditched the tight trousers and stuff and am playing by the rules :yes: Baggy trousers, cotton undies, no horse riding, no drinking etc. Hence why i'm just severely pi*sed off :yeees:

Strangely i stopped using any of the creams yesterday and it seems to have eased off quite a lot so just wonder if they were doing more harm than good. Will be mentioning that to the docs tonight.
    Carolina wrote: »
    Strangely i stopped using any of the creams yesterday and it seems to have eased off quite a lot so just wonder if they were doing more harm than good. Will be mentioning that to the docs tonight.

I had thrush a few times last year, after antibiotics. the only thing that works for me is Mycostatin cream. You insert it vaginally using a plastic syringe they give you. I swear within 2 days it's really eased off. You have to use the whole tube of it though, there's about 2 weeks worth in a tube. Anti-biotics kill off our good cells, & when the defence isn't there, the candida ( thrush) takes over. Your partner has to use the cream at the same time as you until you are both clear, otherwise you will keep cross-infecting each other. My doctor perscribed me mycostatin & I found it the best thing ever. I used canistan before, didn't find it that good. I hope this helps. Using mycostatin, it has to go all the ways up to the cervix (neck of tht womb) as the infection is inside too. the syringe is plastic & it's not uncomfortable at all. Hope this helps!
    Hey, thanks for that. Went to the docs and they've decided they want to run a load of routine blood tests first before they do anything else as got diabetes and thyroid in the family. I sincerely doubt i've got diabetes or thyroid as i'm pretty fit and healthy usually but am glad that they're listening to me and being pro-active :)
    Went for blood tests this morning, unfortunately had a bit of a fit and passed out :yeees: Bit of an odd feeling as never passed out before. Scared the nurse half to death but i got a free biccie out of it anyway :thumb:
    Carolina wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for that. Went to the docs and they've decided they want to run a load of routine blood tests first before they do anything else as got diabetes and thyroid in the family. I sincerely doubt i've got diabetes or thyroid as i'm pretty fit and healthy usually but am glad that they're listening to me and being pro-active :)
    Went for blood tests this morning, unfortunately had a bit of a fit and passed out :yeees: Bit of an odd feeling as never passed out before. Scared the nurse half to death but i got a free biccie out of it anyway :thumb:

Aww, hope you're feeling alright again now.
    And hope that the blood tests are normal too. :)
    Well at least you are on the right road now! Thats great. Thrush can be such a nightmare, I try to avoid anti-biotics now. You can take supplements to help avoid thrush, but it's best for the doc to run tests first & they'll sort it all out for you. take care!