Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fuggly fashion

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Maryam's had a bit of a rant about it.

What do you reckon. Do many of you spend money on designer brands?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kinda reading through it thinking, "What did you expect?" If you're going to buy from a company that's ripping off someone else's design, making it for the fraction of the price by someone in a sweatshop somewhere, why are you shocked that it falls apart?

I dunno (must add that I'm pretty grouchy at this minute) but if designer stuff is so expensive (which it is so often) just don't sodding buy it. I don't get why people think they're owed the fashion, but at 20% of the cost?
    personally, i think the cost of the item should reflect its quality; therefore i wasnt surprised when my £3 pair of flat shoes from primark fell apart within the first two weeks of buying them.
    however, i did get a bit cross when my £25 pair of flat shoes from new look did exactly the same thing =/
    'Sometimes, even designer gear isn't worth it either. A pair of jeans designed by Victoria Beckham can set you back over $200. What is so jaw-droppingly stunning about these designer bits of denim? Absolutely nothing, that's what. You can walk into a high street store and get a similar pair for about £15. I highly doubt Ms Beckham's jeans outclass those from a high street brand; it's hardly as if they're encrusted with diamonds and rubies'

I agree with this whole rant. I hate designer stuff and cant understand the whole hype around it. What is so special about these designers and the stuff they make? And i know its definately not worth a few hundred quid for a bag or a pair of shoes!

A couple of brands i do like are Lucky 13 and Stop Staring but i dont only buy from them and i certainly wouldnt hesitate if i could get a similar item to theirs from somewhere else and cheaper.

The stuff that these big designers make are horrible anyway, i wouldnt buy em even if they were selling them at high street prices
    I tend to buy brands because I've noticed a distinct increase in quality when I spend more on an item of clothing vs when I don't.
    Example, got a pair of black jeans from the budget line in NEXT, and another pair of jeans from a brand (can't remember which) - the latter being significantly more expensive originally (but heavy discount, woo!) and the second pair are MUCH nicer to wear.

But I don't really buy a branded item just because it has the name on, the design / quality is more important to me.
    Not a fan of this rant tbh, the writer contradicts herself constantly throughout. If you don't like designer brands, don't buy them. pretty simple really no need to moan about it.
    Some items i like buying from a brand, for example stuff from 'criminal damage' or 'mercy' or 'living dead souls' because i like the style they produce and i know the items are good quality. Other things like work clothes, i'll spend more on also so they will last (like a good pair of black trousers)

anything i don't wear a lot, i don't mind buying from places like primark etc.