Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Red Dwarf

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
They're bringing it back for a 2 part special this easter, where the crew get back to earth. It's gonna be on Dave, so hopefully they don't have to huge budget that made it go shit in the later series.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Ohh hopefully it's good! I got my bf all the series in a box set for xmas...so he'll be pleased about a special!
  • Options
    Im soooooo HAPPY! :D
  • Options
    Just to remind everyone, this starts tonight at 9. :hyper:
  • Options
    I'm so bloody excited about this hehe.
  • Options
    When is the second part on? Sounds good :D
  • Options
    I'm excited but very weary. I so hope it doesn't suck. The two main concerns I've got is them being in Coronation Street (wtf?) and, after being pleased that Kochansky isn't in it, they've went and put Big Suze from Peep Show in it.
  • Options
    Im gutted wont be able watch it working i miss last nite will it be repeated ?
  • Options
    I think it needs the canned laughter back, its kinda quiet without it
  • Options
    I agree. I remember watching an old episode which had the laughter taken off. It wasn't the same.
  • Options
    Just watching the second part now, very impressed so far. Big improvement over the first part :)
  • Options
    I missed it last night, but then it was on in the background and I managed to catch the last 5 minutes. Very confusing. Where are you watching it?
  • Options
    First part was good, second part was awful, wonder what the third part will be like?

Mum's watching Lewis so will have to catch it on the Sky + though :(
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    Mum's watching Lewis so will have to catch it on the Sky + though :(

Lewis is terrible, I'm being put through it too :(
  • Options
    Is it just me or is just not the same with the canned laughter and really bad effects?

The storyline was good, and the gags were good too, but it felt like something was really missing, it felt kinda poorly edited like there seemed to be a pause at the end of a gag for a laugh, and there was none. The characters also at times seemed very depressed. -_-

It felt kinda weird :S :( I miss the old red dwarf but I really want them to continue to make a new series. I heard they wont be though! :(
  • Options
    I'd imagine that weren't certain whether to go for a canned laughter track or not, so had the pauses in there. Plus, if you think something will get a bigger laugh than it does you'll get those pauses.

Worth noting tha Red Dwarf was actually filmed in front of a studio audience, so a real laugh track for most the scenes, rather than a canned track - which is probably why it didn't seem so out of place.
  • Options
    I still haven't seen it.

Just out of interest, can they not effectively create a laughter track by showing the episode to an audience and recording their reaction?
  • Options
    Yeah, I imagine that's the choice they faced though and decided to go without the laughter.
  • Options
    Wikipedia cites "budgetary constraints" and the desire to keep the plot secret as reasons for no laughter track.

AKA A Dave Original.

Generally synonymous with being low-budget / crap.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Story: Poor
    Character development: Lacking
    Gags: See above
    Facebook feedback: abysmal

Fanboy rating: D- See me.
  • Options
    I agree with you DrPirate.
  • Options
    Disappointing overall. We watched the first two episodes when they aired (tho the signal destroyed the 2nd) and I just caught the 3rd today.

I'm glad they turned it around at the end, because the whole "metaphysical journey" was making me wonder what the hell they were thinking.