Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

buying tobacco products

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since when can someone not buy tobacco products or anything else with a minor?
I just got home from sheetz where I was denied the sale of a lighter and cigs because a minor was traveling with me. I live in virginia by the way. So I had asked if I could buy the lighter at least. I was told that to have any of that with me with a minor would mean a $100 fine.

I have thus tried to find this law on the computer and have come up empty handed. Can someboyd please explain this to me. For if this is a true law I would like to know how they plan on enforcing it simply because no matter where you go almost, there is a minor. What about parents? They have kids that live with them. Are they being told that they can't smoke or have anything related to smoking in their own house?

*frustrated*:banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know if there is a law.

I think basically the store is trying to be safe, if they get busted they can loose their license to sell tobacco alcohol etc.

IF they suspect that you MAY be buying these items for a minor then they will refuse sale of fear of breaking the law.

I know it kind of sucks but thats why when my friends buy smokes ( I HATE SMOKING btw) I have to stand outside because sometimes the shop owner will think their buying it for me. -_- when in fact I could just be their not wanting to wait outside looking like a idiot!
    I understood that, so I asked if I could just buy the lighter and he wouldn't even sell me that. I was out of cigs and really just wanted a lighter to light my candles when I got home. I plan on quiting smoking so it didn't bother me to bad bout that. I did go to another gas station though and get my lighter. The sales person at sheetz had also told me its a new law that was just passed saying we can't even carry them with minors.
    Eek thats really bad, I understand carrying knives and stuff. Lighters and tobacco though?

I heard somewhere that they were thinking about making it ilegal to smoke in your own home if you were a foster parent or something :S
    Eek thats really bad, I understand carrying knives and stuff. Lighters and tobacco though?

I heard somewhere that they were thinking about making it ilegal to smoke in your own home if you were a foster parent or something :S

That might be VA, who knows it might even be in the law the sales person was talking about. I just can't believe that is a true law though. As far as I know nobody had ever heard anything about it either. I have asked everyone I know and nobody can tell me anything about it.
    I expect it probably is a law, or there is something similar.

In the UK if a minor gets their hands on cigarettes or alcohol and the shop is where they came from, the shop staff can be prosecuted.
    Best thing with me was the lady in the co op asking me for ID for buying a coffee cake, a pack of candles, and a box of matches. Hehe. Then she called the manager over to double check my ID wasn't fake.

The problem is thinking is hard and so they put blanket rules in place i.e. if person is travelling with a minor automatically refuse the sale as they don't trust the cashier to make the right judgement. I get pissed off too because a lot of the time they have a right attitude about it, once when I was in morrisons had gone in with some friends, I went to the checkout and bought some wine etc. (I was 20), got IDd, then security came up and said that there were other 'youths' in my group and he wouldnt accept the sale until all the other 'youths' had provided ID. So we had to run round the shop like pillocks trying to find our friends who were buying their own stuff seperately to provide ID.

Then when my other friend bought a paring knife from the same shop in order to cut cheese with (we were camping) she was told that kids her age shouldn't be carrying knives. It made me really angry actually, because it wasn't just them making sure they weren't selling to underage people, but they were treating us different in their attitudes because we were young.
    I've been ID'd twice this week for buying alcohol and I'm frigging 30. That's the 3rd time this year so far. I must be regressing!