Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

2,4,6,8 - Diet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
2,4,6,8... who do we appreciate?

So a friend of a friend has started this diet.

The premise behind the diet is to start of with 200 calories per day, then 400c calories and then 600 and then 800 and then repeat. - apparently it stimulates metabolism.

I'm thinking about trying it, just for the hell for a month or so and doing a report on my findings.

Anyone heard/been on this diet before?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes. But I'm not being funny do you think you could cope with having 200 cals food intake a day, then 400? It's not alot of food. Considering the average sandwhich is over 200 cals and even cereal with milk.

You are better off going on a diet like weight watchers, slimming world if you want to be succesful.

Basically eating 200-800 cals you will be starving your body so when you do increase your calorie intake then your body wil hold onto the food incase you "starve" yourself again.

You won't get amazing results either.
    This is quite possibly a 'diet' invented by someone with an eating disorder. I remember seeing a similar one on pro-anorexia communities I stumbled across on livejournal.

Basically, this isn't a diet, this is just a fancy way to starve yourself with some fucked up logic.
    even the 800 cals is too few. it sounds like an ED diet for sure
    I am on that diet. Have been for like the last 6 months.
    yeah.

its not fun :( don't do it.

it made me feel really poorly. DON'T DO IT.

also, i don't think it actually works that well. i lost more weight restricting my calories to 1000 calories a day. i think you actually lose more weight when you eat that little bit more. thats how it is with me anyway. NOT that im saying 800-1000 calories is enough to eat in one day because it isn't.

just don't do silly things like this. if you want to lose weight, do it sensibly. as soon as i stopped messing around with these silly diets, the weight piled back on so quickly. i have sinced lost some of that weight by sensible eating and even when i eat shit, i don't put weight on.
    That's ridiculous - 200 calories a day is not enough to function normally

I am so sick of hearing about these miracle diets. They must do more harm than good

I am trying to lose a few pounds at the moment. I'm on the Stop Eating All The Pies And Do Some Fucking Exercise Diet.

Otherwise known as living a normal life :rolleyes:
    You cant dis it till you have tried it. And I have tried and I woldnt dis it. If you stick to it for 6 weeks or more it works like a treat.
    You cant dis it till you have tried it. And I have tried and I woldnt dis it. If you stick to it for 6 weeks or more it works like a treat.

why are you encouraging people to try this diet?

its not healthy and its not fun.

ive tried it and it made me very ill. 200 calories a day is not enough. neither is 400 or 600 or 800.

op - just eat healthy and exercise more. sure, the weight will take a little longer to come off but at least your insides won't become fucked and the weight will stay off.
    Sorry I didn't think about encouraging other.
    Sorry.

It is not a safe diet. I am not being funny but I try some stupid diets but I would in no way encourage people to try them. It is the start of something horrible and it's irrisponsible to encourage people to dramatically cut their intake down to 200 calories!

I don't care if I sound hypocritical after the post I made in the Health section but I am no stupid to encourage people to take a path that is not safe!
    I'd be cautious of falling for buzzwords like 'stimuates metabolism'. After a week the only thing my metabolism would be doing is begging me to have a decent days food. It's the sort of thing that would be all the rage in certain pro-anaorexia circles, I don't think it's safe at all and I wouldn't try it.

There's a lot of things I am quite prepared to 'dis' before I try and voulentary starvation is one of these.

If you starve yourself for 6 weeks then of course you will lose weight, I'm not argueing against that. It's very unhealthy, for both body and mind, and potentially dangerous which is why I'd leave well alone
    I am on that diet. Have been for like the last 6 months..

Having seen your posts in "Whats for tea" I somehow doubt this....

Anyway.... Like others have said... being only on 200 calories a day (even 800) isn't that safe. It will probably make you feel really crap as you won't have any energy... And thats if your lucky. If you or your friend wants to think seriously about weight loss, you're best off consulting your GP first, and doing it in a safe way.
    apparently it stimulates metabolism.

Stimulate it to slow right down to grab hold of every little morsel of food you eat!

In the long term this "diet" will cause one of two things to happen:

1. you will die (or if you are lucky you will just get ill)
    2. you will get fatter

It's total bollocks. The ONLY healthy way to long-term weight loss is to eat well and exercise often. There are no short cuts.
    Please don't do it.
    Having seen your posts in "Whats for tea" I somehow doubt this....

Anyway.... Like others have said... being only on 200 calories a day (even 800) isn't that safe. It will probably make you feel really crap as you won't have any energy... And thats if your lucky. If you or your friend wants to think seriously about weight loss, you're best off consulting your GP first, and doing it in a safe way.

But I am not bring funny or anything but how do you know I actually have it for dinner. As I used to post on "What's for tea..?" by putting "My mum and my brother has..." but people got annoyed with me putting that so I just started putting what it actually was and if I thought it was nice or not, but that doesn't mean I actually eat it.

Only if you want to lose weight unsafely and get ill. The only way I would recommend losing weight is eating a balanced diet and exercising. Pretty much every other way will screw your body up either during or after the so-caled "diet" and cause you damage in the long term and are not to be encouraged.
    Pretty much every other way will screw your body up either during or after the so-caled "diet" and cause you damage in the long term and are not to be encouraged.

exactly.

ive learnt this the hard way.
    it's EXTREMELY UNHEALTHY

yes, you lose weight because you're not consuming enough calories... you're using up more calories than you are taking in, therefore you lose weight

anything under 1200 calories per day is simply not enough for proper metabolic function

it will make you fatigued, constipated, irritable, moody, and will leave you craving more food.

not to mention the fact that you'll put the weight back on once you start eating a healthy amount of calories again.

if you want to lose weight, cut down but a couple of hundred calories per day to begin with, otherwise you'll just find yourself craving food.

and again, not to mention the damage it will do to your body if you continue it for too long.... having had an ED for years, i can confidently say that having such a low amount of calories every day is just not worth it!
    If someone eats 200 calories per day, how do they get all their nutrition? (fat, carbs, protein, etc) :confused:
    200 calories per day? The filth and bacteria I inhale per day has more calories than that. I'd suffer if I had to take only 200 calories per day to me.

maybe it's a typo and it is meant to be
    2000, 4000, 6000, 8000.

That's more like it!
    Melian wrote: »
    If someone eats 200 calories per day, how do they get all their nutrition? (fat, carbs, protein, etc) :confused:

they DON'T. that's the problem. when i'm restricting my food intake that much for a prolonged period of time, my blood tests show up with me low on all kinds of things, such as zinc, iron, vitamin D, etc. as well as low white blood cell count, because your body doesn't have enough energy for a strong immune system.

it really just isn't healthy, i don't advice it! (as hypocritical as that may sound)
    please dont do it. it may "work like a treat" for losing weight in the short term, but it will as others have said, play havoc with your insides. I was eating max of 800 calories per day for a while, and I didnt lose-my body started holding on to everything, and I wasn maintaining weight, even though trying to lose.
    the only thing thats worked for me is eating very healthily and making sure get my fruit and veg in. and excercise of course (boring as cardio at the gym can be)
    please do not do this diet.

My Doctor once told me that normal diet & regular exercise are the best. He said he has seen so many cases where girls are doing these crazy diets, that are screwing up their bodies & then they are coming in to him bawling crying that they can't get pregnant.... and i bloody well wonder WHY?????:chin:
    2,4,6,8... who do we appreciate?

So a friend of a friend has started this diet.

The premise behind the diet is to start of with 200 calories per day, then 400c calories and then 600 and then 800 and then repeat. - apparently it stimulates metabolism.

Whoaaa... that may be kind of dangerous.
    I think starving yourself slows down metabolism. That can't be healthy.

Maybe try the Alli diet plan/pills. I've heard they reaally work.
    the mrs wrote: »

When the colon is full of fat, the anal sphincter loses it's capability to hold it in, no matter how hard you grip.
    go_away wrote: »
    When the colon is full of fat, the anal sphincter loses it's capability to hold it in, no matter how hard you grip.

:crazyeyes
    the mrs wrote: »
    Whoaaa... that may be kind of dangerous.
    I think starving yourself slows down metabolism. That can't be healthy.

Nooo, don't use Alli diet pills. They have AWFUL side effects like that fact you just shit fat and have to carry change of clothes/underwear with you everywhere you go as you crap yourself, not good!!
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Nooo, don't use Alli diet pills. They have AWFUL side effects like that fact you just shit fat and have to carry change of clothes/underwear with you everywhere you go as you crap yourself, not good!!

are these the pills that are going to be available over the counter very soon?
    are these the pills that are going to be available over the counter very soon?

Yep and they're quite expensive considering you're paying for oily skidmarks. Wait a sec, 'oily,' 'Alli,' :chin: