Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would You Save A Stranger?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did anyone watch this last night?

I thought it was disgusting how a bus full of adults did nothing to help a 12 year old girl being beaten up by a bunch of children not much older than her. Not even one called for help, and shockingly, one women said "shh" as she was moaning from the pain.

In that situation I think I would have said something, or at least called for assistance. Obviously whether you intervene or not depends largely on the situation, like whether knives are involved or how many people etc., but to do absolutely nothing is just disgusting. I just hope if I ever find myself in such a position someone with a heart will help.

Personally, I hate to see anyone in distress and would help out where ever I could but obviously there are limits like I mentioned above, but I could never turn a blind eye, the least I would do if someone was in trouble was call 999 and watch from a safe distance so that I could be a good witness.

So I ask, would you save a stranger?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd like to think I would have done something, yes. Even if I felt a direct intervention could have put my safety in danger, I would still have gone downstairs to talk to the driver or call 999.

Ideally what we need if a group of individuals all to stand up at the same time, and if it takes giving the little shits a slap across the face, then so be it.
    I'd like to think I'd jump in to help people out, I guess it depends on the situation.

I remember I went out with my school mates one halloween when I was 14. Me and another friend got seperated from the group and we were walking back to another mate's house when we both got jumped by a gang of about 10-15 older lads (I later found out most of these wankers were about 5 or 6 years older than us aswell) and we got a bit of a kicking. I can remember my mate calling out to some bloke who was stood on the corner messing with his phone to call the police and he didn't do fuck all.

After we got battered they eventually left us with a few cuts and bruises and we asked the same bloke if we could borrow his phone to call up my mates mum as he'd lost a trainer and it was pissing down and he looked up and said "Sorry mate, I don't want to get involved, I'm waiting for someone". So we had to walk back still.
    Yeah alot of people live in there own bubble, if its not affecting them then they don't get involved.

I'd like to think i would at least say something or do something, doesn't have to be something physical. I think you have to be careful these days mind, you just don't know what some people are carrying these days and what people are capable of.

I remember a tv show a while back where they did an experiment where an actor fell over and lay on the ground, as if he was injured. It literally took about 5 minutes for someone to come up and see if he was okay. People just walked past and didnt bother.I could never do that!
    GoodFella wrote: »

I remember a tv show a while back where they did an experiment where an actor fell over and lay on the ground, as if he was injured. It literally took about 5 minutes for someone to come up and see if he was okay. People just walked past and didnt bother.I could never do that!

It's called "Bystander Effect". The more people around the less likely they are to help because they feel that someone else will eventually help, and because many people think that in the end no on does anything! It's called diffusion of responsibility, rather than it being them who is responsible for not helping it's shared. Also, when other people don't react to what is happening it makes other people think that it is not appropriate to intervene. Like a man and a woman having what could be interpreted as a 'domestic' actually could be a woman being dragged away to be raped.
    People just don't seem to give a toss, these days. I was mugged in broad daylight once, and people just walked and drove past, even though I shouted for help.

I also got attacked after a night out once and I ran to this gang of lads who just didn't want to know.

There seems to be no concept of society or doing what's right anymore. Basically, it seems to be that you look after number 1 and don't get involved, if it doesn't concern you personally.
    Seen another programme where they left a young child on her own, virtually no men and only mostly old ladies stopped to ask if she was alright.
    stepped in once or twice but all i did was try to calm the situation down ou know like saying 'come on guys... lets chill out' rather than someone actually being full blown hit and me going in to take down the attacker. ive never thrown a punch in anger in my life (at least not one aimed at someone) so i dont know if i would have what it takes.

squeal what show was it? couldnt find any youtube clips. if i find out what show it is i can put a clip up :)
    It's fucked innit. My old flatmate witnessed a terrible car accident, the car was on fire and there were screams coming from inside. He and his colleague were the only one's to pull over, and it was on a busy motorway in the middle of the day. They tried pulling over cars to borrow their fire exstinguishers to put out the fire, and lots just ignored them and carried on driving.
    Eventually they put the fire out, but the guy inside was aleady dead before they got to him, or the emergency services turned up.
    ShyBoy wrote: »

squeal what show was it? couldnt find any youtube clips. if i find out what show it is i can put a clip up :)

It was just called: Cutting Edge: Would You Save A Stranger? On Channel 4.

Here is a link: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/would-you-save-a-stranger/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1

It looks like you can watch it on 4oD if anyone is interested.
    I would say something, but I would most certainly do something if I couldn't bring myself to step in into an out numbered group. I'd at least walk around the corner, call the cops or something. I hate fighting, so I avoid it at all costs, haha I sound like a pure shit house. Even though I kindof am. :blush:

In terms of what Pill'ed said, I'd do something. Just when people start clashing in fights I don't want to get involved if need be.

edit: I remember this one time when I was with my dad, this group of youths at the front of the bus, at the time around my age, 14ish. They were annoying everyone, fighting each other, spitting, and doing that thing where they spit little pieces of paper through straws. Well people told the driver to kick them off, he ignored it. They carried on, and they hit some woman in the face with the straw spitting and laughed about it. So I moved out of my seat knowing my dad would flip (I would have done something if it was my friends, as she was just next to them, the woman stood up for herself too. (I was near the back the bus was packed)). So he flipped on them all. Scared the living shit out of all 5 of them. They applogized, sat down and kept quiet. But one did that spitting through the straw thing again so they all started. They spat it into this lads face (opposite to me.) and he got pissed off, stood up and beat the crap out of one of the lads. The others tried to gang on him but this time me and my dad did help. We went down and split it up, told the driver to open the door and we just pushed them all off.

The other 8 or so people that were at the front could have done something, but they did jack. I don't see how they could.
    Last time I tried to use 4oD it broke my computer :(
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I would say something, but I would most certainly do something if I couldn't bring myself to step in into an out numbered group. I'd at least walk around the corner, call the cops or something. I hate fighting, so I avoid it at all costs, haha I sound like a pure shit house. Even though I kindof am. :blush:

Well it sounds a little selfish, but in such a position where you are outnumbered and in danger, I think one person dead is better than you getting involved and making it two.
    Like someone else has said, the bystander effect is a lot more powerful than you might think. A lot of people sitting, doing nothing isn't unusual. Experiments and stories dating back to the 60's are prevalent. Standing by and doing nothing isn't a modern phenomenon.
    Ironically, the experiments have shown that when one person does start to help, the other bystanders will do so as well.

Personally speaking I have intervened on numerous occasions, in and out of work.
    The scariest was one night several years ago. I was on duty, alone coming to the end of my shift. I was walking through a rough part of town when I heard screaming.
    I walked round the corner and saw a young girl on the floor being attacked by at least 20 youths of varying ages/sexes. I ran at them shouting POLICE POLICE and luckily they ran off. I managed to get the girl to safety just as they started regrouping and throwing rocks at us.

On reflection it's probably one of the worst decisions I've ever made. Rationally, I was alone, the nearest backup was 20 miles away, it was night time and I was outnumbered 20:1.

It's not a course of action Id ever recommend someone taking, but I'd still do it again.
    squeal wrote: »
    Did anyone watch this last night?

I thought it was disgusting how a bus full of adults did nothing to help a 12 year old girl being beaten up by a bunch of children not much older than her. Not even one called for help, and shockingly, one women said "shh" as she was moaning from the pain.

In that situation I think I would have said something, or at least called for assistance. Obviously whether you intervene or not depends largely on the situation, like whether knives are involved or how many people etc., but to do absolutely nothing is just disgusting. I just hope if I ever find myself in such a position someone with a heart will help.

Personally, I hate to see anyone in distress and would help out where ever I could but obviously there are limits like I mentioned above, but I could never turn a blind eye, the least I would do if someone was in trouble was call 999 and watch from a safe distance so that I could be a good witness.

So I ask, would you save a stranger?

That really does make me feel sad.. i would help the poor girl.

As GoodFella said their in there own bubble if it doesnt affect them they couldnt care less which is disgusting imo.
    I'd like to think I'd do something, but alone in my neck of the woods? Probably not. If it was somewhere like a bus, then I'd walk away from the scene and call for help. I feel quite vulnerable in certain parts anyway, I think so long as there was safety in numbers and people rally together, then I'd feel in a stronger position - but I think for most people it's easier to stay in the bubble and hide behind the copy of the Metro.
    I just watched the first 20 mins of the first episode and feel really sad already, how on earth could people just stand there while somebodies life is hell?
    I would ALWAYS intervene.

I have done it in the past in many circumstances, sometimes I have come off worse for wear, and lots of times been scared but what ya gonna do?

I just think it's natural, even if it's a case of try and intervene and end up getting smacked or running off, at least you don't go home, feeling like a cunt and worrying about some poor person
    I would try to intervene but only if it was sensible enough for me too. If I couldn't do anything I would at least phone the police.

I hate people being bullied and ganged up on and tend to open my big mouth in these kinds of situations and say something to the disgusting little shits!

Like on easter sunday I was out at night in town and noticed through the doors of a club a lad lay on the road and wasn't getting up. The bouncers were stod there laughing fucking filming it on there phone!! Luckily as I was about to see if the lad was okay a paramedic arrived so I had a massive rant at them calling them disguting bastards and that they should get a fucking grip and there heads out their arses...luckily didn't get thrown out after my little outburst ;)
    tbh, i have put myself in serious danger in order to help some girl out - she was getting hit by her boyfriend in a high street, and people did nothing. its not like he was a big guy, and there were plenty of guys who could have utterly floored him, but instead i went and stood infront of her so he wouldn't hit out, and just threaten to call the police and calmly stared at him. I took the girl into a cafe and we called the police from there. but, ffs! i'm 5 foot 1, ok, i do know martial arts and if i judge that me jumping in won't make things worse, and i think about it before i jump in, then i'll take action. but most of the time i'll call police from a distance unless someone is getting hurt and i can actually intervene
    OMFGz but the coppers would arrest me if i got involved lol

:p
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    OMFGz but the coppers would arrest me if i got involved lol

:p

Quick, get involved!! :p
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I would ALWAYS intervene.

I have done it in the past in many circumstances, sometimes I have come off worse for wear, and lots of times been scared but what ya gonna do?

I just think it's natural, even if it's a case of try and intervene and end up getting smacked or running off, at least you don't go home, feeling like a cunt and worrying about some poor person

Same.
    Weekender Offender 
    I'm not sure in a brawl. Of course, if it's a bunch of kindergardeners I dish out massive noogie-justice, but if it's 30 year old muggers with nothing to lose, then I'm not sure.

Since I was a paramedic for some time in my life I pretty much always (or let's say at least most times) help if someone is injured/passing out/etc. Last friday there collapsed this girl in a club, because she was insanely drunk. Many looked, the barmaid said, "please tell the bouncer.", I carried her out got a glass of water and her friends brought her home then.

so in medical situations I pretty much always help out of instinct (there is actually little you can do wrong. The most important thing is to just do ANYthing instead of standing stuck dumb on the side and watch), but like I said before in brawls I probably wouldn't intervene personally. I'm a lightweight and absolutely despise violence.
    That's really admirable strubbles. Thing is if anyone was ever hurt I would be scared of doing more harm than good. I know about the recovery position but then I know nothing about spinal trauma etc. I know about checking the airways breathing and circulation but what comes first? Like if someone comes off a motorcycle am I supposed to remove his helmet etc and check his pulse or should I try to immobolise his neck? If his heart has stopped he's going to die but if I sever his nerves he might die anyway.

This and a great deal of other conundrums would make me really scared of intervening if someone was seriously hurt, although if someone has just cut themselves because they're pissed and fell over I'll help clean the wound and put a dressing on (have actually done this, hope they didn't have HIV heh).
    well, if you learned it, you know that you remove a motorcyclists helmet in a accident, but then again you learned to do it right (high risk of injury of the neck spine.

If you haven't learned it, it doesn't matter, then you don't remove his helmet, but you can at least pull him out of traffic and call the ambulance. So you at least did SOMETHING and probably the most important things, actually.

A motorcycle accident is something very delicate tho, and therefore a bad example.

But if someone on the street has a heart attack, the best things you can do is:
    - call the ambulance (the sooner he comes to hospital and gets the meds, the better).
    - just calming him down.

this is something everyone would probably do out of instinct.

A person with a heart attack should sit and if possible not lie on the ground, but that's the "advanced" stuff, so to say. You wouldn't make him do an handstand, just out of instinct, so you can't really worsen the situation. The most important things are the easiest everyone can do, that's the beauty of first aid.

It's actually difficult to worsen the situation if you do the simple but crucial things in most cases. Of course there are special cases too, but eh, That's probably 0,1% of all the emergencies you experience. Nobody has a spinal trauma if he collapses on the street.

just if you are interested: if you put someone in recovery position there is no danger to his spine, because you do not twist it. If the patient has his hand on his knee, you can roll him to his side without applying torsion to the spine.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    That's really admirable strubbles. Thing is if anyone was ever hurt I would be scared of doing more harm than good. I know about the recovery position but then I know nothing about spinal trauma etc. I know about checking the airways breathing and circulation but what comes first? Like if someone comes off a motorcycle am I supposed to remove his helmet etc and check his pulse or should I try to immobolise his neck? If his heart has stopped he's going to die but if I sever his nerves he might die anyway.

This and a great deal of other conundrums would make me really scared of intervening if someone was seriously hurt, although if someone has just cut themselves because they're pissed and fell over I'll help clean the wound and put a dressing on (have actually done this, hope they didn't have HIV heh).

How would you sever his nerves Shyboy? I'm confused.

Firstly you should check if there is any response from the person, and then open their airway and check for breathing. You can then check their pulse. If there is no sign of life then you need to start doing CPR until an ambulance arrives. That's pretty much the best you can do.
    squeal wrote: »
    How would you sever his nerves Shyboy? I'm confused.

if someone has spinal trauma there is a chance that you sever his nerves in his spine if you twist it. If it's in the lower back he will be paralyzed, but if you sever the nerves in the neck, the person is not viable (controls the muscles in the chest to allow you to breathe) without breathing machines (or however you call those, the coma patients are attached to)
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    if someone has spinal trauma there is a chance that you sever his nerves in his spine if you twist it. If it's in the lower back he will be paralyzed, but if you sever the nerves in the neck, the person is not viable (controls the muscles in the chest to allow you to breathe) without breathing machines (or however you call those, the coma patients are attached to)

Ahh thank you :) that makes sense now.

How come you decided to stop being a paramedic?
    Squel I meant as strubbles said relaly if they've broken the bones in their neck and you move the neck improperly it can damage the nerves etc. for example in a car crash or whatever.

Although what strubbles said makes sense, do the basic stuff. I might do one of these st johns ambulance courses, you never know when knowing the reallly simply stuff might save someones life. I think it's about confidence really, for strubbles and yourself you seem fairly confident but like I said I would be worried about making the person worse off because I'm not a trained professional etc. when my dad had a seizure I had NO idea what to do I was terrified and so all I did was rub his back and tried to relax him.