Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

more problems with the electricity bill....

ok, so in march, i moved out of this apartment. i closed my electricity account that i had jointly with my flatmate and they sent us an estimated 'final' bill. this has all been paid off and our account has been closed.

earlier on in the week, our electricity company sent another bill in the new tenants name. my flatmate is claiming this is our 'actual' bill. its only for an extra £60 but im already losing my £350 deposit because of her so i don't want to lose any more money really. im happy enough to pay some of it as i was there until the 28th (i closed account few days early because i had so much to do but my flatmate was happy enough for me to do this) but im not just splitting the bill 50/50 otherwise i'll be paying for an extra 10 days of electricity that i wasn't there to use. the electricity company is telling me its for the period 23rd-6th april and legally, i am not obliged to pay it because i took myself off the account and closed it just before then with permission from my other flatmate. its not in my name.

anyway, my flatmate is claiming because i am a tenant until 8th april (i am on the contract) that legally, i must pay. she is saying she is going to send in our contract to them. my electricity company are claiming that she cannot add me to the account without my permission though. however, they were happy enough to set up a new account in the new tenants name without hers (i did it and now that girl isn't even moving in!).

my question is, can this bill end up coming back to me because im listed as a tenant? i have closed our account. edf were happy enough to set up a new account in the new tenants name without having any details about her and without her being there to give permission. im worried my flatmate is going to set up an account in my name again now. she really is that horrible to do such a thing :(

i am happy enough to give her the money but the thing is, because im not listed as an account holder, i can't even check that she's paid it off. i don't even know if she'll use my money to pay it.

worrrriiieeddd.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    tell her to take it to court
    You're joint and severally liable as the occupier, if that's what your contract says. That means the electricity company can go after one of you or both of you.

As she's on the bill, they'll probably go after her, as they can be much more awkward to her than they can to you. Tell her to fuck off.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    Tell her to fuck off.

:thumb: :thumb:
    useful tips

This is great! It really shows me where to expand my blog. I think that sometime in the future I might try to write a book to go along with my blog, but we will see…Good post with useful tips and ideas
    Gossioii2 wrote: »
    This is great! It really shows me where to expand my blog. I think that sometime in the future I might try to write a book to go along with my blog, but we will see…Good post with useful tips and ideas
    :confused:
    I guess it is a subtle anti-spam avoidance, KHSS, establishing themselves as a real poster (at least to someone skimming for spam) before dropping their payload.
    oh right. That's a lot of investment for something that will just get deleted anyway!
    well, it woul be a lot of investment if they were actually reading posts and putting together thoughtfull replies. However this seems to have been copied from here so the investment isn't too much - once you've selected your generic text (which should pass most "was this written by a person" tests - as it was) you just keep pasting it in.
    Kermit wrote: »
    You're joint and severally liable as the occupier, if that's what your contract says. That means the electricity company can go after one of you or both of you.

As she's on the bill, they'll probably go after her, as they can be much more awkward to her than they can to you. Tell her to fuck off.

mmm, i can't remember what my actual contract says.

will just have to wait and see what happens :( i have told the edf that i have left the property though so hopefully i will be ok.

im happy enough to just give my flatmate the money so she stops messing me around but meh :( she is messing up everything.