Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why do they do this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently applied for a job in a large showroom-type shop. I was told there would be 3 or 4 vacancies on 'zero hours contracts' which means they can offer me anything up to 40+ but also means they don't have to offer me anything. yes I know that's not the best situation but right now there's not much I'll turn down even though they know I'll work 50 hours if they asked me to.

Anyway I went along for a work trial the other day for a few hours and I know I did pretty well.

I had a call yesterday to say they were very impressed with me but won't have anything for me for 2 weeks as they've taken on 3 guys to work 20 hours a week each but after the 2 weeks they should have some hours for me.

Why the hell do companies take on a number of part-time workers if they have someone willing to work full time for all the hours available?

Comments

• Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Glen,

The main reason a company would do this is to mitigate risk.

It's the same argument for not putting all your cash in one bank, or the old saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket". If you take on one employee full time and that employee either becomes unsuitable or gets run over by a bus etc, then you are stuck.

Unlike an office employee, where if someone is ill the work can usually wait, with a shop or showroom when they aren't available they miss out on sales. Employing several people to do shorter hours means that there is more likelihood that they'll be able to cover absences or when one of your colleagues resigns etc.

That's not saying it is right, nor is it particularly fair for you, but its a reason why a company would do that.

And, there are reasons why putting all your eggs in one basket may be a good idea.

Best wishes,

Olly