Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

a bit gross - period stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i usually use a mooncup but i can never get it quite right and usually wear a pad too just in case. problem is i'm finding that sanitary towels are really irritating my girly bits and causing itching,soreness and a rash which looks exactly like nappy rash. This is also happening with pantyliners too. the problem calms after a bit of air exposure and sudocrem so i'm not concerned it is much more than irritation, but i'm a bit unsure how to continue now! obviously walking round with nowt on isn't an option, any suggestions? has anyone tried these?

http://www.babykind.co.uk/sanitarywear.htm

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey, :)
    I just found this:
    Vaginal secretions change throughout the menstrual cycle, and while the vagina can usually deal with these slight changes, some women tend to get thrush just before or after their periods.

Menstrual blood can change the acidity of the vagina, and, as a result, some women get thrush during their periods. Tampons and towels may also play a part in creating the right environment for thrush. If a tampon is left in too long (more than about 12 hours), it can dry out the vagina, change the pH balance and trigger thrush. Unchanged towels can create a moist, warm environment around the vulva, and yeast thrives under these conditions.

From a women's health website.

I think it's probably pretty common, and although you say you've been using sudo-cream it might be worth getting an over the counter treatment like canisten?

I haven't tried those re-usable towels, but might well be effective in helping to stop the itch. I guess you'd just have to make sure you change them just as regularly to and might be a pain to carry around?
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I haven't tried those re-usable towels, but might well be effective in helping to stop the itch. I guess you'd just have to make sure you change them just as regularly to and might be a pain to carry around?

Hmm, that would be my concern about those too... if you're out and about and have to change it, you would have to carry the used one around with you, so would probably have to think about what to carry it in so it didn't leak anywhere. Other than that, I think it's a good idea, although I don't think I could get my other half over the icky factor enough to let me put them in the washing machine!
  • Options
    ive never tried washable sanitary pads, but i know people who have and apparently theyre super comfortable. It might be worth getting a few to see
  • Options
    coz i use a mooncup it would only be for extra protection against leaks really. i hadn't considered thrush coz its only itchy on the outside rather than the inside :)
  • Options
    does your mooncup actually leak, or is it just because you feel like it might?

If it leaks id say its not cupping your cervix properly or maybe you need to get a different size
  • Options
    it does leak, i haven't been able to get it right in the five years ive had it - i even bought a new one recently in case it was the actual cup. its not major, just enough to need to use pads too.
  • Options
    Ive never had a problem at all with mine.Id definitely try some of the washable panty liners though