Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Girl names

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends where you are.
    My little sister is Alexandra Grace and it sounds lovely :)

Yeah it's a popular name so obviously other people like it, it's just my opinion :)
  • Options
    Dunno if its been mentioned before but Chloe is a nice name :P
  • Options
    I really like the name Chloe but it's really popular which would put me off.
  • Options
    I like names that can be shorted to a nickname for when they grow up- like Katherine -kat etc

So when you tell 'em off you can use their full name and be really parent-ey.

hmm does that make sense?
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    I like names that can be shorted to a nickname for when they grow up- like Katherine -kat etc

Trouble with that is that people decide they can't be arsed to say your whole name and call you whatever accepted nickname they wish.

I'm a Katherine and don't mind being called Kat, or Kitty, or K (or Kaff in the online world obv :p), but HATE Kath or Kathy. My boss has called me Kath for the last 2 years and WILL NOT STOP :mad:

It's like people just cannot conceive that I don't usually shorten my name because it is a name that has pet versions. I know a Victoria who has similar issues.
  • Options
    Sugar wrote: »
    i like Amy better spelt Amiee but i wouldn't spell it that way because people would always spell it wrong

Or 'right', as it's more commonly known :p
  • Options
    Girls Names

What about

Molly, Carina, Kylie, or Sarah. They are all old fashioned names but I like them:)
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Trouble with that is that people decide they can't be arsed to say your whole name and call you whatever accepted nickname they wish.

I'm a Katherine and don't mind being called Kat, or Kitty, or K (or Kaff in the online world obv :p), but HATE Kath or Kathy. My boss has called me Kath for the last 2 years and WILL NOT STOP :mad:

It's like people just cannot conceive that I don't usually shorten my name because it is a name that has pet versions. I know a Victoria who has similar issues.

I'm a Bethany and people automatically call me Beth. My mum gets so outraged. 'She's a Bethany, not a Beth!' she says. 'If I wanted people to call you Beth, I would have called you Beth. You're a Bethany.'
    But then, if I'm out and about and people ask my name (ie in a club where I will never see a person again) I always say 'Beth' because everyone thinks I'm called Becky or Beverely.
    ARGH.
  • Options
    I like the name Imogen.
  • Options
    dammit double post
  • Options
    I'm a Bethany and people automatically call me Beth. My mum gets so outraged. 'She's a Bethany, not a Beth!' she says. 'If I wanted people to call you Beth, I would have called you Beth. You're a Bethany.'
    But then, if I'm out and about and people ask my name (ie in a club where I will never see a person again) I always say 'Beth' because everyone thinks I'm called Becky or Beverely.
    ARGH.

im Rianna, and i hate it so i prefer to be called Ri, but my dad willl NOT accept it! "Youre Rianna, thats the name we gave you, none of this Ri nonsense! lol

anyhoo, my future-girls names -
    Meike [pronounced Mika]
    Fae
    Una

Chun-Li :p
  • Options
    ARGH.

I call my sister Bef (or Berf) and she hates it :D. Her name is Elizabeth and she's always been a Lizzy, but I started calling her Bertha and it kinda changed into Berth/Berf or Beth/Bef as time went on. She deals with it now but only because I let her call me Franny.

I love my name (Frances) because it's fairly unique and unusual (in the sense that not a lot of people are called it these days) and I've only met maybe one or two in my life apart from me. But EVERYONE (even my grandad did once) spells it with an 'i'. I ARE NOT HAVING PENIS KTHX. And most people call me Fran or Franny which I haaaaate. Only certain people can call me by those names (namely my family). Then again, everyone always sticks an 'e' on Franki as well.

I actually love all my family's names because they are normal without being boring and they're all fairly unusual in that they're 'traditional' names and not a lot of people are named them as much anymore, plus I can make them into odd nicknames :p (Charlotte Holly (Charley > Shirley > Shirl), Philippa Alice (Flippa > Flipsy > Flips), Elizabeth Rose (Bertha > Berth > Bef) and Frances Emily (Franny Anny)).

Sorry, rambled a bit there :p.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think all names that are longer than 2 syllables should have a shortened version with 1 or 2 of them, and people should just pick their own shortened name. I'm kind of annoyed when someone insists on being called with their entire name! I know that's just a silly pet hate.
  • Options
    I think all names that are longer than 2 syllables should have a shortened version with 1 or 2 of them, and people should just pick their own shortened name. I'm kind of annoyed when someone insists on being called with their entire name! I know that's just a silly pet hate.
    Why? It's their name, and maybe they don't like the shortened versions.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote: »
    I didn't say I shout them to hell, only that it's a silly pet hate. I don't even mention it.

But by the way, I'm really annoyed by the parents who are like "We named you <long name> so you're not a <short name>." If people don't get to choose their own names, at least let them choose a shortened one!
  • Options
    There's a girl at work called Anne-Marie and she won't be called Anne or Marie for short. Kinda annoying actually cos I always feel like it's more friendly when you let people call you what they want.

Like people called me Luce or Lu... I wouldn't insist on being called Lucy.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Lu_C wrote: »
    There's a girl at work called Anne-Marie and she won't be called Anne or Marie for short. Kinda annoying actually cos I always feel like it's more friendly when you let people call you what they want.

Like people called me Luce or Lu... I wouldn't insist on being called Lucy.

I'd rather be called what I want to be called, not what other people prefer to call me :/

I'm Laura. Laura was really popular when I was a babba. At uni, there were about 5 of us called Laura in the same group.

As for girls names, I quite like Niamh, Freya, Lucy, Hannah, Amelia, Jessica, Rhiannon, Tamara, Alexis, Rebecca. Yanno, the normal names.

Working in a school sucks because there are lots of names that I like that I would never call our child. I love the name Olivia but I am currently teaching a horrible little girl called Olivia. Luckily it's more boys names that have been tarnished than girls names.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

:yes:

Plus, in my case, my full name is only 2 syllables (in a local accent, anyway) so people should just suck it up.

Whatever someone introduces themselves as, that's what you should call them. It's just politeness.
  • Options
    I was almost called Natasha..wish I was, I prefer it to my name.

I also like:

Melissa
    Amelia
  • Options
    I really like the name Chloe. I think because every Chloe I've known has been really pretty, so I associate the name with being pretty.
  • Options
    Freya is the only girls name I like!!

My name is Araminta - I've not met another yet.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I really like the name Chloe. I think because every Chloe I've known has been really pretty, so I associate the name with being pretty.

I associate certain people with names too. So there are people I hate automatically without ever meeting them. They have to prove otherwise to me :p
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I'm calling my first-born-daughter Alexis.

*shrug* as to any other girls names.
  • Options
    I like Lydia...my neice is called Lydia Grace so can't have that.

I also like-

Poppy
    Lilly
    Elsa
    Lottie-but not Charlotte
    Millie
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    :yes: I have to spell my names out (and have had to correct my father at least twice:rolleyes: ) and it's getting annoying. I also once got asked how I spell my middle name (Rosemary) not sure if there any variations on that, is there?:confused:

Well, you say that, but there is a child I know of called Rosemerry :eek:

I love my name, everyone knows how to spell it, and everyone can pronounce it, but it's still not actually that common. My family call me Katy, which is fine from them, but I hate if anyone else calls me that... I have been know to correct people at work who call me Katy. Oddly, the only question I hear quite often is "Is it short for Katherine?", which I actually find really odd, because I don't feel like it's related to the name Katherine at all, even though I know it is...

As for girls names I like, I'm not too sure, although I'm definitely a 'normal names' sort of person. Guess I should get thinking though really, will hopefully be starting a family in the not too distant future :D
  • Options
    I like Heidi and Olivia :) I do not like Fiona :(
  • Options
    I say the same thing every time this thread comes up, but for girls I love Irish names. My favourite's probably Aoife, but I also really like Roisin, Niamh and Saiorse.

Thankfully I've got an Irish surname, nothing jars more than an Irish forename with a very very English surname.
  • Options
    Emilie! just to annoy all those who dont like different spellings, i love my name, but it gets annoying when people insist on spelling it with a y. the funniest was my french teacher who insisted upon calling me amilie she would even change my name at the top of work I handed in.

I like Aine pronounced (ornia) i think its beautiful but my other half said no way lol! I also like isabelle or isabella, but everyone is calling their little girl that at the moment.