Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Evil Corporations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There are corporations that are so evil that every james bond villain looks like a boy scout. They pollute mother earth so badly that those Captain Planet Villains that just pollute for the sake of polluting look like kindergardeners.

I dare you to read this article about Smithfield, Americas biggest processed meat producer that has it's grasp in Poland too and want to expand over to whole East Europe. Read it here.

It's a long article but amazing.

To name a few others you can look into yourself:
Monsanto
De Beer
Congo Free State (Leopold II of Belgium)
Blackwater Worldwide
etc.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a such a crush on Captain Planet when I was a kid...
    how have Blackwater Worldwide been polluting the earth any more then anyone else?
    Territt wrote: »
    how have Blackwater Worldwide been polluting the earth any more then anyone else?

blackwater is not an example for pollution. They are their own sort of evil.
    A corporation can't be evil, only the people running it. I don't necessarily think it's evil, it's not deliberate cruelty to others, it's just that their bonuses are more important than the lives of some poor people in Africa or India. That makes it worse in a lot of ways.

Major corporations put profit ahead of everything, including safety, they always have done. Look at Nestle. Look at Coca Cola in India. Look at most oil companies in East Africa.
    The article is very interesting. Thanks, but are there worse earth-polluters than we ordinary people are? We use cars that are responsible for most of the greenhouse gas emissions. Compared to that "Evil Corporations" deeds are boy scout deeds.

Offshore Banking
    Cars contribute to a tiny proporion of 'greenhouse gases' and planes aren't much worse. Big factories and power stations are the biggest producers of greenhouse gases.

But don't let the facts get in the way of One-Eyed Broon slapping another 2p on the price of a litre of petrol.
    It's great asking electric car owners where the electricity comes from.
    Well I've never seen data on the subject but I'm willing to bet the total amount of pollution created per km in an electric car is still a lot lower than in petrol or diesel car even if the electricity that powers the former was created in the oldest, most polluting coal-fired power station in the land.

And then the percentage of electricity produced from renewable sources is growing all the time.

But electricity doesn't have to be polluting, petrol does (albeit the technology isn't nearly there for renewable electicity to be anything but an add-on)
    It's not the running of it, it's how they are produced. Topgear I remember had a show on this, a electric car from Japan creates more eco harm than a land rover would do. I can't remember over how long but, the batteries and such would be shipped, transported by trains, lorries, aircraft all over the world. When the car itself ran more "eco" than most, it's production just shitted all over its purpose.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    It's not the running of it, it's how they are produced. Topgear I remember had a show on this, a electric car from Japan creates more eco harm than a land rover would do. I can't remember over how long but, the batteries and such would be shipped, transported by trains, lorries, aircraft all over the world. When the car itself ran more "eco" than most, it's production just shitted all over its purpose.
    If the show in question where you heard this was Top Gear, then the claim is wrong. Jeremy Clarkson has made this claim regarding the Toyota Prius, a car he seems to hate with a passion. But while it's true the products used to build its batteries are shipped from the Far East, the car is still far less polluting for the environment throughout its life than a petrol or diesel equivalent, even after you add the initial manufacturing process.
    So it's wrong because he doesn't like the certain model/brand?
    Not necessarily, but Clarkson often makes false/ misleading statements on Top Gear- and he'd be the first one to admit that. I remember when he made the astonishing claim that a Prius had a worse fuel economy than a BMW 3 series. What he did to 'prove' this was to have the Stig drive the Prius at its maximum speed (around 110 mph) round the circuit, and then the M3 at the same speed.

Unsurprisingly the M3 consumed less fuel, since its engine is tuned for high higher speeds and can work very comfortably and at low revs at 110 mph. That's the 'proof' Clarkson actually used for his claims.

Of course, in legal driving conditions at legal speeds on either urban, extra urban or combined cycles (which is the only kind of driving that counts), the Prius absolutely trounces the BMW in the fuel consumption front. No doubt it was just lack of time that prevented Clarkson from mentioning this.
    Corporations have been pretty like that since they first came about. The only thing a corporation cares for is its survival, expansion and profit. If something stands in the way of that, they'll find a way around it, or just eliminate the problem completely.