Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

No confidence to do a simple thing.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In the last few weeks my confidence has shatterd ive got non left and after nan past away its got alot worse.
I want to go college in September but to do that i need to ring connexions to see an advisor but i havent got the confidence to ring them i want to but ive got a speach problem and with a speach problem and no confidence when i do talk on the phone i freeze and don't say a thing and if do do say something a stutter like mad lol!!.

I know all that sounds seriously daft but if anyone could......well sort of tell me what to say because i wouldn't know what to say and if i did know what to say i wouldn't stutter so much and have a bit more confidence.

I would rearlly appritiate any advice.

Thank you xx

Comments

• Options
    What about getting someone to call and speak for you? They can explain the situation to the person on the phone?
  • Options
    Yeah my G-dad could do it but i sort of need to do it for myself but thanks anyway :):):)
  • Options
    I've got a stutter too. I think it's a more common problem than you might expect. What I do if I need to ring someone is write down exactly what I plan to say. It doesn't always stop me from stuttering, but it's helped me with 'freezing up' un the phone. When I do stutter I just take a deep breath and wait for my nerves to calm. The person you're talking too will not be judging you for stuttering. I know it can be embarassing when it happens, but the more you think about it the more likely it is to be difficult to control on the phone.
  • Options
    thank you Betsy that helps alot :):):)
  • Options
    re

Hi Custard,
    good advice from betsy! you could also explain to the person on the phone that you feel a little nervous?good luck with it:)
  • Options
    Yeah man, in my earlier years I used to stutter too.. especially when I was working as a Sales Executive cold calling people everyday (who didn't want to speak to me!).

The best thing to do is to write down what you want to say and go from there. Either way, just remember that the person on the other end of the line is very unlikely to meet you in person and will have no idea who you are! I used to be the same with speaking to unknown people on phones, but it's one of those things I practised (through work) and got better at. So don't feel bad about it!
  • Options
    All this advice is good i have nout else to add, good luck Carla :)
  • Options
    Hey Custard :wave:

All the replies that you have had are great and really helpful. There are a couple of other resources that The Site can offer:

The Site has a short video on boosting self esteem that may help you? You may also want to check out the British Stammering Association website - they have some great advice on there.

Take care and keep posting :)