Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Open University (OU)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi Guys,

I can't afford to go to university full time, I'm 24 and have lots of bills to pay and need to continue at full time work.

I want to start a degree with the open university studying Psychology.

Has anyone studied with the OU? how did you find the teaching/support? Was it easy to self teach?

I'm on 12,500 wages before tax, how much financial support did you get?

Any help warmly appreciated.

Thanks in advance:D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've done OU bits before. They are good quality, but it is very hard work. For the 1st level units you get a lot of support, but by the time you are on to the 2nd level units you are expected to have a good self-teaching methodology and not to have to rely on other people.

Also they are not cheap if you have to pay for them yourself, but the financial support section will list if you can get stuff paid for http://www3.open.ac.uk/studyatou/apply/financial-support.shtml
  • Options
    Hi Mist,

Firstly thank you for your reply.

Also the link was fab, apparently I am eligible for a full grant going to try and pursue this further.

Can I ask what course you studied? and If a degree how long it has taken you to complete. I am aiming to get my head down and aim for 3 years.

Many thanks again :)
  • Options
    I took some science options including a residential which was very good, with the plan of getting a biology related science degree. I didn't continue past level 2 as I was finding the amount of time needed to be too much.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks lots for all your replies.

I decided to take the plunge and start the first part of my course on the 2nd of May - really excited!:yippe:

Decided I needed to do this and if I dislike it or fail at least I tried.

Thanks again :D
  • Options