Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help On Self-Harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, and thank you to anyone who is reading this:heart:

Ok, so seeing as it's lent, I've decided to give up self-harm, but already I'm finding it really hard seeing as it's been my way of venting depression for 3 years now. My friends get upset when they see the fresh scars on me, they figured out I cut myself about 4 months ago. Everything seems to be getting to me latley, three of my friends are fighting, school's going badly and my dad keeps blowing into rages. I don't want to have to admit to my mum I self-harm because it'll only upset her. The thought of therapy doesn't appeal much to me, and I was wondering if anyone knew a good way of venting depression other than "crying and eating ice-cream" as my friend put it to me.
All and any tips are appriciated

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Hi BlackSunset and welcome to TheSite! :wave:

Well done for taking the first step to getting some support - hopefully you'll find what other have to say useful and show you you're not alone in going through this. :)
    Here's some information on self-harm that you might want to read through.

You say your friends get upset when they see you've been self-harming and you don't want to talk to your mum or dad. Is there anyone else you think you could speak to, this might help and give you a chance to talk about how you're feeling, which is really important. Maybe a teacher you trust in school if you don't want to speak to others?

You can also go to your doctor and discuss this with them - they can help and give you some other options. You say you're not sure about having therapy, but this can help, it might seem a bit daunting at first but counselling can really work for some people. Again, your doctor can help with this and can refer you if it's something you think you might want to try.

Hang in there, keep posting and let us know how you're getting on :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks

Well, I guess I could try talking to the school nurse, she handles emotional stuff. It's just that if my parents know, they'll never stop watching me as they're really over-protective with this stuff, but I can understand why. I'll try it and see how it goes, thanks.
  • Options
    Welcome.
  • Options
    Blacksunset

Given up SH for lent, for braver than me...
  • Options
    yeah, i gues you're right. I mean, even just talking to people on this site has helped me a bit.
  • Options
    hi there!

Hey i used to self harm, probably pushing 3 years in the end. I know what your going through, its hard to stop. What helped me was to get rid of anything i used to cut myself with. And when things get on top of me i watch a comedy dvd, stand ups and the like to take me mind off things.

i hope you succeed! It's well worth it :wave:
  • Options
    Hearing from your experience really helps, I mean, lots of people have tried to talk to me about it, some on other site and some just friends, but none of them seriously know what it's like and all they ever say is "Just don't cut" and I feel like knocking their teeth sometimes. There are a LOT of comedy dvds rotting away on the shelf I could try. As for getting rid of all my "instruments" I took care of that before I did anything. Thank you so much for your help, and I'm quite proud of myself, I haven't cut in a month despite a few "less pleasant" conversations with one of my friends.
  • Options
    re

Well done Blacksunset,

A month is a great achievement :)
    let us know how your getting on and thanks for your contribution to the forum:wave:
  • Options
    Sorry Guys

Well, despite the fact Easter is so close, I slipped up. :banghead:

Yes, I cut myself and now have five scars up my right arm, and a single, quite deep, cut on me left. My dad and brother were yelling at each other, my mum was upset because they were yelling, and I had had a rough day. I didn't want to hear them, I kept trying to block them out but I couldn't, so I cut myself. I feel like such an idiot now that I look at what I chose to do. I need something to help me let out my depression, does anyone have any suggestions?