Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you think Google Street View breaches people's privacy?

There is a heated discussion on another message board about the legality and ethics of Google Street View, the tool that allows you to 'walk' through the streets of several British and Worldwide cities, and to zoom in onto people's front doors.

Google used recognition software that blurred people's faces as well as number plates of cars. But it seems some folk are unhappy about photographs of *houses* being published and freely available on the internet, and claim it is a privacy issue.

Frankly I am amazed that someone could possibly think that way, but I've always thought you Brits have a rather peculiar (unique, almost) sense of privacy so I thought if anyone on this forum feels the same way :p

I personally could not give a flying toss that an image of the front of my house can be viewed. I live on a public road at the end of the day, and anyone is free to walk up it, look at the houses and photograph them.

Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not especially. I just think it's a load of bollocks. Haven't Google got better things to do?
    I think it's quite cool myself. Not particularly useful, but a good way to waste time at work nonetheless :D

I guess those looking to rent or buy a house can now check the general look of a street without having to travel.
    My house is free to be viewed by anyone who passes my street. I don't charge any money :-D

It makes no difference if viewers were able to see my house on the net.
    It's there for the public to see. Whether that's in person, from someone with a camera taking a picture in public, or for them to find on the internet. If people don't like it, there are plenty of one room shacks in the middle of Montana where they can be free from observation.
    Simply put, no. They said the same lame thing about Google Earth, even all the way up to government level. Google is all about providing information, they do that.
    I think its really cool. I couldnt care less about all the privacy malarky. The only bad thing about it is its helped me waste even more time at work.
    Who said haven't Google got better things to do?

Google are just eyeing up what they will soon own, they wanna see it in all it's glory so Google and MAtt Cutts can sit back and visualise everything to make it happen faster..

:yeees:
    Aladdin wrote: »
    but a good way to waste time at work nonetheless :D

I thought TheSite did this job for you quite admirably ;):D:lol:
    Gotta say personaly i think Google Street view is a great little service, the Brits just love an excuse to moan and Street view is a great opertunity for the public to bitch!

However i can see how people may get pretty pissed off if they get caught in awkward situations as some people have been.

But as for all the people momaning that their homes are on the internet, it's more thank likey coming from people that live in small town suburbs, that don't even have thier homes on the net yet!:banghead:
    missinghome.jpg
    minimi38 wrote: »
    missinghome.jpg

:D:D:D
    I don't get it.
    Surely it's not a breach of privacy because everyone can see you if you're walking about the street anyway?

Can you see into windows??!
    Does this mean I can't dance about in my underwear anymore?!

:(
    You can't generally see into windows because of the reflection, but there are some you can.

But if the google car can see in your windows, so can anyone walking past.

The only people who are upset are those who've been snapped doing something embarrassing. Yes, it's bad for them, but they shouldn't do it in public if they don't want everyone to see.

I mean, if you walk around dressed like this, you can't complain at the photo can you?
    I quite like the story about the small village of Boughton in Cambridgshire who's residents blockaded the street preventing the car going into the village.

Only trouble is it seems to have backfired with lots of people planning to goto the village and start taking photos.....lol.

I don't think the privacy thing is an issue, you can't see anything on Google that you couldn't see in real life.
    You can just as easily plan a burglary with an OS map as you can Google Earth, possibly more easily as an OS map is a lot clearer than a photograph in terms of layout of the land e.t.c.
    Kermit wrote: »
    You can't generally see into windows because of the reflection, but there are some you can.

But if the google car can see in your windows, so can anyone walking past.

The only people who are upset are those who've been snapped doing something embarrassing. Yes, it's bad for them, but they shouldn't do it in public if they don't want everyone to see.

I mean, if you walk around dressed like this, you can't complain at the photo can you?

That's what I mean! It can't be a breach of privacy cause everyone can see you anyway!