Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I go for a SMEAR?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
im really moved by jade goodys story, and want to say R.I.P to a star -^^ i've just recently come home from uni for easter and was having a conversation with my dad about jade, when he brought up some news that both my nan and my auntie (on dads side of the family) have had cervical cancer at a point in their lives......... this really shocked me as now i know its in the family..... i know smear tests arent given to girls normally unless theyre 25, and i only turned 19 the other week....... but im getting a bit worried- especally as jade was fine a year ago, and now shes passed away :( Should i go for a smear test? but im scared the doc will think im being a bit of a hypercondriact (or however you spell it lol) and im scared about what happens......... but mayb it will set my mind at rest? help! any views appreciated....... thanks, zoey :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cervical cancer isn't hereditary, what normally causes changes in the cervical cells is the HPV virus. If you're really worried, it's always worth ringing up and having a chat with the practice nurse about it, but I can't tell you whether they'll do the smear or not.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I believe you can have a jab for it now? At any age i believe as we;ll

My mum mentioned something about getting it done but i cnt remember much else... sorry to not be of more help.