Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

zoos/wildlife centres

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, im thinking of trying to get a job in a local deer centre or a small zoo. Does anyone know what it takes? Like, do you need qualifications in animal care and at what level?
Currently at college studying art :P
Thanks

Comments

• Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hiya,

There is some good information about what you need to become a zoo keper on the website of ZSL (the people who run London and Whipsnade zoo):

http://www.zsl.org/info/jobs/careers-with-animals-zoo-keepers,111,AR.html

Olly
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you :D
    I would say that generally, it doesn't pay very well - but that might not be an issue!

Jobs in places like zoos are highly competative - they get lots of applicants so any extra animal related experience you have will help.

It may well be worth considering voluntary work to get some extra experience!

Good luck!
    Im gonna try get some volunteer work in over the summer at a deer centre (with wolves)... Hopefully the fact i wont be asking for money will intice them ;)
    How do you stop the wolves eating the deer?! :eek:
    They are in a seperate enclosure...just next to the children's play area...:yum:
    hehehe
    Hey, im thinking of trying to get a job in a local deer centre or a small zoo. Does anyone know what it takes? Like, do you need qualifications in animal care and at what level?
    Currently at college studying art :P
    Thanks

coolest opportunity like that i've seen is the Busch Gardens and SeaWorld Adventure Camps - you get to work with animal trainers to help take care of the wildlife and animals they use in their parks. a lot of their trainers are old campers - i don't think you can get experience like that anywhere else.
    coolest opportunity like that i've seen is the Busch Gardens and SeaWorld Adventure Camps - you get to work with animal trainers to help take care of the wildlife and animals they use in their parks. a lot of their trainers are old campers - i don't think you can get experience like that anywhere else.

That would be perfect for me if they also did it for university students and for longer, i.e a few weeks. I'm doing my degree in zoo biology and would love to do that!
    Ballerina wrote: »
    That would be perfect for me if they also did it for university students and for longer, i.e a few weeks. I'm doing my degree in zoo biology and would love to do that!

They have a Zookeeping and Zoo Careers program for people in their late teens and in college, there's still an opportunity there, if you're interested.
    I'm so planning on sending my as yet unborn children to Sea World to do all of the animal camp things they look great!
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I'm so planning on sending my as yet unborn children to Sea World to do all of the animal camp things they look great!

Ha - I'm sure they will appreciate it. The Adventure Camps would be a great opportunity for anyone.