Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Number 10 bans the World Development Movement from g20 at last minute

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://tinyurl.com/cofm4k

Public meeting with Ed Milliband, then clandestine revocation of credentials buried under the weight of news at the last minute.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am really stupid on this matter, or maybe each time I tried to
    find out what actually is this summit thing I was clouded out
    by all the different media bullshit, you usually see when you open
    the paper or browse the internet.

Can the G20 summit be explained in 1 sentence?
    No :-D
    I can't see any reason why they would actually want to attend the G20 summit in the first place. Being charitable, this is a 4½ hour talking shop where bugger all of significance will actually get done.
    Can the G20 summit be explained in 1 sentence?
    "Save Gordon Brown's Job" summit would be a more appropriate name for it. Brown seriously seems to think that, by spending as much time as possible with Barack Obama basking in his reflected glory, smiling at him like a lovelorn puppy in that strange way that Brown does, it will somehow make him popular again. There's just one problem with his plan - it won't work. When the PM said yesterday that "we are within a few hours of agreeing a global plan for economic recovery and reform.", even Obama looked embarrassed.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I can't see any reason why they would actually want to attend the G20 summit in the first place. Being charitable, this is a 4½ hour talking shop where bugger all of significance will actually get done. "Save Gordon Brown's Job" summit would be a more appropriate name for it. Brown seriously seems to think that, by spending as much time as possible with Barack Obama basking in his reflected glory, smiling at him like a lovelorn puppy in that strange way that Brown does, it will somehow make him popular again. There's just one problem with his plan - it won't work. When the PM said yesterday that "we are within a few hours of agreeing a global plan for economic recovery and reform.", even Obama looked embarrassed.

The line I .liked best from Brown was ...we don't just have fine words ...we have a plan!
    What the hell does that mean?

And the endless use of the word new world order being bandied about was amusing.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I can't see any reason why they would actually want to attend the G20 summit in the first place. Being charitable, this is a 4½ hour talking shop where bugger all of significance will actually get done. "Save Gordon Brown's Job" summit would be a more appropriate name for it. Brown seriously seems to think that, by spending as much time as possible with Barack Obama basking in his reflected glory, smiling at him like a lovelorn puppy in that strange way that Brown does, it will somehow make him popular again. There's just one problem with his plan - it won't work. When the PM said yesterday that "we are within a few hours of agreeing a global plan for economic recovery and reform.", even Obama looked embarrassed.
    Really? Maybe today you should look embarrassed, seeing as Brown was 100% right about that.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Really? Maybe today you should look embarrassed, seeing as Brown was 100% right about that.
    You delude yourself. Not for nothing is he increasingly known as our Prime Mentalist. Read this article from Peter Oborne (once one of Brown's ultimate cheerleaders, bear that in mind) and see just how little you really have to smile about.