Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Snoop Dogg on a Dubstep tip!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So this week it's been big news that a lot of big hip hop artists (Snoop Dogg, L'il Jon, L'il Wayne, Pharell) have hopped onto the dubstep scene, producing their own stuff or just ripping existing tracks with their own hip hop flavours over the top.

Here's an example, the original tune. Chase & Status - Eastern Jam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzRaYFCZpPo

The Snoop Dogg 'remix':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iOp-C1hQ8k

Personally prefer the original think this sounds too cluttered and a bit all over the place. Think there'd be some potential though if he had a dubstep tune produced specifically for him.

But with all this high profile US interest on such a small UK scene still in infant stages, is it a good thing? Will the exposure be a good thing or will it be the death of dubstep as we know it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    make it stop :(

but on the other hand the proliferation of awful commercial hiphop hasnt stopped the production of good hiphop.

we may end up with more slurry like this, but I dont think it'll stop the creation of other good stuff.
  • Options
    I quite like the fact that hiphop artists are now spreading their wings a bit and trying out new things. Makes a change from the previous 10 years worth of 'i just shot me a hoe with my pimp hand/wads of cash/caddilac so respec my authoritor'
    There are quite a few decent tunes emerging just lately in both scenes, the only difference being that dubstep is becoming a lot more manstream and more people are latching onto it.
  • Options
    i think its a good thing as wer finally gettin the respect we deserve for making this new sound as long as we dont let them steal it the scenes got a massive future
  • Options
    I listen to both genres. But is it selfish to want to keep Dubstep in the UK?