Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feeling too stupid for uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I dunno if this is even the right place, maybe health would be better but i dunno, just tell me if you think its in the wrong place and i'll shift it.

At the moment i'm just feeling too stupid for uni, im not particularly falling behind with the work, but in my chemistry module this semester theres quite a few things i just dont get, and i asked a guy i know and he was just like "Its all in the book" and was just making me feel really stupid when i said i didn't get it, and thats happened with a few assesments in other courses this semester :(

On top of that the same guy, we are in the same discussion group for a medical biology module and we came out of our first meeting and he was like "Everyone was just so insightful and intelligent ... and then theres you telling stupid stories" or something along those line (this was about 6 weeks ago now) but its just all built up to make me feel far to stupid to even warrant my place at uni. :(

Blah, sorry more of a rant than anything else.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What a tool...just ignore him!

If you are stuggling then speak to your tutor they are the best to offer support and help. Ignore this lad he is talking out of his arse. I'm sure he is super brainy and NEVER struggles with anything :rolleyes:
    Some people feel the need to bring others down to make themselves feel better for their own issues. There are some people like that at my medical school, it does my head in e.g. girl on my course. If you miss a lecture or a class, she won't hesistate to tell you just how excellent it was and how she learned sooo much - even if the class was distinctly average [/Simon Cowell] "It's in the book..." Translation: "I don't know the answer either but I will make myself sound uber bright to cover for it."

A lot of it comes down to competition, and a lot of people want to get a metaphysical 'head start' so will spread rumours about exams or say things like, "God, that person is so stupid." It's just to plant seeds of doubt.

No one expects you to get everything first time round. That's the whole point of learning and going to uni. If you knew everything then you'd be teaching the subject, so don't feel bad for not knowing everything backwards - it will come together.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, you tend to get people at uni with 'im so fucking mighty' syndrome! Try reading through some other books or asking your tutor for help and ignore the 'i'm always right' brigade!
    There's a guy in my seminars that actually gets right on my nerves (even though I've never spoken to him :o ) because he knows the answer to everything and the way he speaks makes him sound like a proper stuck-up know-it-all bastard.

Just don't listen to him. Have you tried asking your tutors about the things you don't understand?
    I study philosophy and even though there are no right answers, there are hundreds of cockends who think they know it all. Seriously, these guys think they have the whole of the universe and humanity sussed. They make me feel like a complete and utter tit.

But I have a social life and I'm a nice person. So I hold onto that. Sure, I might not be the most amazing student but I do the stuff - and, as folks have suggested, I'm not afraid to admit I don't understand something. Your tutors would much rather you asked than went confused!
    Well i went through the problem I had with my lab report with my demonstrator today, and she was great! I'm feeling much better today, realised I'm just not gonna waste my time even talking to this dick anymore. Thanks for the replies guys!
    I'm struggling with my chemistry course this semester too. I've been going to the Prof directly for extra help. Ya forget those jerks. Good that you found help!