Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Arriva Staff Instructed to Spy on commuters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2009/03/425711.html?c=on#c218991

I'd love to see what comes out a couple of weeks from now. BTW there are report of a security alert outside the Bank of England.

Comments

• Options
    ...and this is the 'suspect package' scene.

http://twitpic.com/2n2b9
  • Options
    http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2009/03/425711.html?c=on#c218991

I'd love to see what comes out a couple of weeks from now.

Point being?
  • Options
    ...and this is the 'suspect package' scene.

http://twitpic.com/2n2b9

Er? not sure what you're trying to say, looks like a junction cleared because of a suspect package (which like most suspect packages will turn out to be a tourist's lost luggage)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Its genuine, copies have been given to staff across the UK.
  • Options
    LOL sorry guys I was at work, saw this and went to post a thread but had to move back onto the email I was working on. The 'I'd love to see what comes of this part is an errant cut n paste.

Happily can report that the package was a false alarm and the police have been stood down.

Back on topic-the Arriva thing is a little worrying...
  • Options
    The Arriva bit doesn't interest me in the slightest, truth be told. Scroll up to the top of the page, and you'll notice that the "British Transport Police are asking staff to report any sightings that meet the following general description of activities". These are:
    * Groups of travellers wearing noticeable themed clothing, for example same large logo or coloured shirts etc
    Because all possible protesters at the G20 are going to be wearing clothes with exactly the same logos and slogans on them, aren't they?
    * Any noticeable groups who are believed to be travelling to London
    Wow, a group of people going into London for the day? That's never happened before, has it?
    * Any groups carrying banners or posters
    Goodness me, "protester carries banner". That's something to write home about, isn't it? Coming up next week, the British Transport Police discover that bears shit in the woods.
    * Any group bookings to London that day
    Yes, because all protesters will come to London at exactly the same time, won't they?

Bloody muppets.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    As I pointed out above, rather poorly, it isn't an Arriva initative, similar copies from different companies have been circulated to all companies in the UK. I understand the BTP will be having an increased presense at all London Terminals as well as other main stations such as Leeds and Manchester etc.
  • Options
    LOL sorry guys I was at work, saw this and went to post a thread but had to move back onto the email I was working on. The 'I'd love to see what comes of this part is an errant cut n paste.

:lol:

Done that myself, luckily I noticed just before I posted I was about to add a paragraph of advice on a city's economic prospects - which as they weren't good could have been a tad embarrassing...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The Arriva bit doesn't interest me in the slightest, truth be told. Scroll up to the top of the page, and you'll notice that the "British Transport Police are asking staff to report any sightings that meet the following general description of activities". These are: Because all possible protesters at the G20 are going to be wearing clothes with exactly the same logos and slogans on them, aren't they? Wow, a group of people going into London for the day? That's never happened before, has it? Goodness me, "protester carries banner". That's something to write home about, isn't it? Coming up next week, the British Transport Police discover that bears shit in the woods. Yes, because all protesters will come to London at exactly the same time, won't they?

Bloody muppets.
    I'm getting extremely sick of this patronising, scaremongering bullshit by the government and the police to be honest.

And regardless of what might or might not happen tomorrow, whoever in the police was responsible for the 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough'-style comments a couple of days ago should be fired if not prosecuted for gross negiglence and endangerement of public safety.

It seems protesting is an essential part of British life that must be cherished... so long as the protesters stay 'on message'.

Fucking sickening.
  • Options
    Guys, sorry for the poor show on this thread, clearly 'I'd love to see what comes of this...' is not the correct response to a suspect package.

Calvin: sorry, point of the thread being further evidence of intimidation and shit stirring by sections of the police service.