Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Interview arrrgh!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I have an interview for Ann Summers on Monday morning. This is my first interview in years and I'm scarrrrrred. Does anyone have any relaxation tips and ideas for hair/makeup? I know not to go too OTT but I'm not sure if my usual hair (washed, headband and tied up without brushing it - it sounds bad but it doesn't look too untidy) would be ok or not.

Wish me luck too! I'm feeling positive but I haven't been able to get another job except McD's for ages.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yay! Congrats! I like to keep my makeup nice and simple for interviews - enough to show that I can be smart about my appearance but not too much! A bit of mascara, some blush, and maybe a tiny bit of eyeshadow.

Maybe put your hair up with it brushed?

And mint for relaxation. Take some water into the interview with you if you need to - sipping it gives a pause for breath.
    Thing with my hair is that it's at the awkward stage of growing out where it looks untidy no matter what, really :/. Plus it's about 2in shorter at the back than it is at the front from when I had it cut last....in June. I was thinking for my eyes, not natural/neutral but not LOTS of colour. I have a pallete that is subtle without being boring so was thinking that.

Water is a good plan, thanks. I get really mouth-sticky when I'm nervous.
    Franki wrote: »
    Thing with my hair is that it's at the awkward stage of growing out where it looks untidy no matter what, really :/. Plus it's about 2in shorter at the back than it is at the front from when I had it cut last....in June. I was thinking for my eyes, not natural/neutral but not LOTS of colour. I have a pallete that is subtle without being boring so was thinking that.

Water is a good plan, thanks. I get really mouth-sticky when I'm nervous.

:yes:

I like wearing white eyeshadow, just across my eyelid at the eyelashes (if that makes sense).
    If your worried about your hair maybe put something like a plain coloured beret on.
    You could probably get away with that, if what your wearing is neat.

Make up isn't my field I'm afraid. :-p

As for relaxation tips, deep breaths always help whilst your waiting for them to call you in and just thinking through your answers before answering.

There's plenty of websites out there that give info on the types of questions interviewers ask so you can do some research and come up with some good answers.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=134237

There's no better confidence booster then you nailing your first questions.

Stuff like,
    What interests do you have outside of work.
    Examples of where you?ve problem solved in other jobs
    What skills you could bring to this job etc.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on!
    Oooohhh!!! Good luck!!! :D

Somewhere like Anne Summers probably don't mind a bit of glamour so I'd say you could probably doll up quite a bit with the makeup... But just don't over-do it cos it is still an interview.
    As for the hair... you could always tame it a bit with hair grips, but otherwise I think you can work the bed-head look and make it look nice, messy hair can look really cool if you get it looking deliberatly messy.

Everyone finds their own ways to relax... But I think being well prepared can ease your mind to begin with.
    Have you looked on their website to find out background info on the company? That usually helps. Places tend to ask what you know about them and it's always good to be able to reel some stuff off to impress them... shows you're interested in them instead of just desperate to get any job you can put your hands on.

Also jot down a few questions you think they might ask and prepare what you'd say.

Other than that; breathe slowly, pushing your stomach out so you're using the whole of your lungs - stops you doing that sort of hyperventilating breathing.
    Close your eyes and visualise it going well and feeling confident.
    And dress in something that makes you feel confident.
    Thanks Lu_C :). The hair grips is probably the best idea, since the main reason my hair looks messy with my everyday look is that the bits that are just too short to get in the ponytail hang down and look rubbish. That's a good point about the makeup. Maybe I can do a lighter smokey eye or something like that. I did a purple look the other day that wasn't WOAH PURPLE but still looked pretty so maybe I can do a slightly toned-down version of that.

They did ask when I had a mini-interview over the phone why I wanted the job and I was honest and said that it's because I'm poor but that I also love their underwear (which I do, I just can't afford it :p). I think it went down well (well, obviously, since I got a proper interview!) because I was quite honest about it without being all "I only want a job here because I can't get anything else".

Will go and look at website info now. Thanks all :).
    i dont think that taking a bottle of water in is particularly good advice is it? i'd expect to be offered a drink when turning up for a interview?
    if i was interviewing i think i'd think it was a bit odd if someone brought their own drink...
    i dont think that taking a bottle of water in is particularly good advice is it? i'd expect to be offered a drink when turning up for a interview?
    if i was interviewing i think i'd think it was a bit odd if someone brought their own drink...

I've not once been offered a drink at an interview.

If she takes a bag big enough to keep the bottle of water in that'd be ok wouldn't it? I don't think that's weird.
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I've not once been offered a drink at an interview.

If she takes a bag big enough to keep the bottle of water in that'd be ok wouldn't it? I don't think that's weird.

i've never done retail work so maybe its not that bad for those sort of interviews, but sitting there in a interview rummaging through a bag aint gonna look good is it?

professionalism is key, no matter what the job.
    If I did have to open my bag and take the bottle out (not rummage through it, it's a bottle of water, it'd only take half a second to find it in even a big bag) then I would make a point of saying, 'excuse me, I just need some water, my mouth is kinda dry'. I would rather look 'unprofessional' by trying to stop myself being nervous than sit there with a sticky mouth and stuttering because of it.

I agree with this.
    Mist wrote: »
    I agree with this.
    The only time I've ever been offered a drink at an interview was when I went for the one for McDonalds. I don't see it rude to have a bottle of water in my bag, which I usually do anyway, and as I said, I also don't think it's rude for me to quickly excuse myself to have a drink if they haven't offered me one.
    Franki wrote: »
    The only time I've ever been offered a drink at an interview was when I went for the one for McDonalds. I don't see it rude to have a bottle of water in my bag, which I usually do anyway, and as I said, I also don't think it's rude for me to quickly excuse myself to have a drink if they haven't offered me one.

Then I also agree with LS that our experiences at interview have been different. I've always been offered a drink, and when giving an interview that's the first thing that I'd offer, if there wasn't already drink on the table.

That said, in the bizarro world where they haven't offered a drink, I don't suppose it's too bad to have one of your own.
    I agree with the not taking a bottle of water in. Even for all my retail interviews I wouldn't have dreamed of getting a bottel of water out of my bag. I may have one in there for before/after but I wouldn't get it out mid interview.

If they offer you a glass of water take it but if they don't, then don't get out a bottel of water.

I have only ever been offered a glass of water in one interview (and believe me I have my fair share of interviews) and that was for nursing.
    I get the dry mouth thing but I was that nervous I didn't even attempt to drink the water incase I spilt it everywhere :blush:
    I've never been offered anything at an interview, hence my advice :p
    I've never been offered anything at an interview, hence my advice :p

:yes:

I reckon taking some water with you to sip before and after the interview is a good idea - prehaps not doing it in the middle of the interview...
    But counting up to 5 or something in your head before answering questions might work just as to give you a pause for breath - which I think was the reason for the original water idea. This means you can gather your thoughts properly so you don't just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind.

Also, when you've finished answering a question, stop talking. Sometimes you feel like you need to fill the time between questions and end up babbling on about stuff... If you say what you need to say then just stop and smile and wait for the next question. :)
    Ello,

Smokey eyes sounds good - could you also tidy your hair back with a headband?

I would say carry some water just in case they don't offer any - i wouldn't think it looked unprofessional and it might also help you to calm down a bit knowing its there. I would also take a notebook to make any notes in so get that out and the bottle of water and put it on the table in front of you at the start of the interview.

Obviously if they offer you water use that instead.

I would also write in the note book a few questions to ask them - that always looks good as well.