Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Staged return after sick leave

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, well... I'm due back at work next week on wednesday after my 12 weeks recovery period following my woperation.

I had a meeting with my manager and a lady from HR a few weeks ago and we discussed a staged return.

I'm supposed to be seeing my manager again this week to talk about it again but she is the most unorganised person in the world so I dunno if it's going to happen yet.

I just don't know how to do the return... They've basically said it's up to me how slowly I want to take things, and I don't know what to do for the best really.
My contracted hours are 40 per week... I don't know how quickly to build back up to it or indeed how slowly to take it at first. I'm all confused.

I've also got all nervous about going back there.
It doesn't sound fun... Loads of people have left since I've been off and they're not hiring any replacements. A staff of over 40 has become one of less than 20, yet with still all the same amount of work to do.
I don't want to get all stressed out when I go back. :no:

Any words of advise?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My mum had a partial hysterectomy at the end of December and returned to work in Febuary. She works 40hours a week and my mum and her manager planned for her to go back part time then gradually increase her hours back up to 40. It didn;t quite work out that way for my mum but that is probably your best bet. Start back on say 20 hours at the most and see how you feel doing that. Then over the weeks slowly increase the hours. It's hard to say how long you should be increasing your hours for until you get back working.

Take it at your own pace...you won't know how you feel until you go back. Don't be pressurised into doing too much too soon!
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Take it at your own pace...you won't know how you feel until you go back. Don't be pressurised into doing too much too soon!

Thanks.

This is exactly what I'm worried about... They're so short staffed I'm worried that they're going to be pressurizing me into getting back into it as quickly as possible. And I'm gunna feel guilty not putting the hours in. :(
    If that happens and you end up being over worked then the end result will be you needing more time off. My mum found the first few weeks really hard. Mainly because she had got used to just pottering around and not doing much then going back to work really wore her out. She is just about back to normal and thats 3 months after her op.

It's hard but put your foot down with a firm hand and make it clear that you don't feel comfortable or able to do however many hours they are asking you to do.
    I'll write more useful stuff later as on way out to work, but for the meantime...

Try and work the times you go back in for so that they match a finish point. Something like the two hours before lunch if lunch works as a clear demarkation. Means you've got a set point to leave at.
    I'll write more useful stuff later as on way out to work, but for the meantime...

Try and work the times you go back in for so that they match a finish point. Something like the two hours before lunch if lunch works as a clear demarkation. Means you've got a set point to leave at.

Luckily I work shift work - I'm a sales advisor... So that won't be too hard to do. It's just getting work to cooperate.
    Well I saw the doctor today and then went into work.

I'm going back on Monday. Doing 4 shifts or 5 hours so that I get a break in the middle.

Actually starting to look forward to it now. :)
    good luck with going back to work! hope it goes well. You should think yourself lucky they even discussed staged return, thats very commendable.

dont want to piss on your bonfire but i have heard stories recently due to cashmageddon that people on long term sick are finding themselves redundant upon return to work, its bad practice to make people on the sick redundant. Not saying this will happen, but just a bit of a heads up, especially if the company isnt doing too well as it is...
    good luck with going back to work! hope it goes well. You should think yourself lucky they even discussed staged return, thats very commendable.

dont want to piss on your bonfire but i have heard stories recently due to cashmageddon that people on long term sick are finding themselves redundant upon return to work, its bad practice to make people on the sick redundant. Not saying this will happen, but just a bit of a heads up, especially if the company isnt doing too well as it is...

Thanks for the luck.

I think I'll be fine... I single handedly brought down the stockloss of the department I took over from 25 units going missing a week to 3 a week. My managers have been pretty desperate to get me back so I think my job is safe. :)